Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello every one. I need a sugestion. I am looking for a car for my mom. The requirements are. Car should be good looking, auto, reliable as a tank, it should be no less then 02 and about 30000 miles and price of $10000. So my choices were the usual for this class of vehicle: civic, corolla, sentra and no koreans(needs to be reliable remember).

I found out about limited sentra GXE and this is like the perfect car with a little stretch in financial aspect. I need to know if the 2.5 engine is reliable and are there any chronical probles in particular is there oil burning problem? How is the auto transmission for these cars? To be honest a I am very sceptical of auto but for my mom it's a must. So is this a good choice? What are the opinions about the car in general? Just to keep my options open is the 1.8 engine reliable?

I need the an answer quick.
Thank you

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
For reliability, I would recommend the 1.8 engine. There were problems with the 2002 2.5 engines. The auto trans has been trouble-free.

Lew

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
the 2002 QR25 did have oil burning problems as well as others.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am narrowing down to 03 limited car do you think it's a safe bet? What was the cause of oil burning rings or valve seals? I don't want to end up with a really wimp car 1.8 :-(. We have a 1.8 93 eclipse and untill I dug deep in to engine it was a celebration when a car could go faster then bus hehe. I fixed the engine but transmission is complete crap.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
teh 1.8 is reliable as a tank. if its for your mom, what do you care how much power it has? let her make the decision.

also the 1.8 will get much better gas mileage.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
the 2.5 autos of 2002 did not seem to suffer as many problems as their 6 speed counterparts. as far as reliability, the 1.8 is better. if you are all about tank reliability i would suggest looking at a 2001 SE with an engine known as the SR20.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
chimmike: the reason for 2.5 is that as I said before we already own a 1.8 which is a big dissapointement especially when merging in to a moving traffic or getting to highway speeds from a stop sign higway entrance. I don't whant the car to be maxed out the every time It has to merge in to traffic. So I whant a little extra margine to be there. Also going on long highway inclines I hate when the transmision down shifts and holds rpm near redline. You think my mom will do anything about that absolutle not so if the incline is 2 miles long the engine will be reving up all the time which I think just spells trouble in the long run.

NickZac: I can't go for 2.0 since those cars are too old.

After all this sugsestions I will consider the 1.8 but I really whant something with a lilte more assurence on the road. Before I was motivated by relibility of sentras I have heard about but from reading the forums I guess the reliability isn't what it use to be. And even Nissan is not a guarnatee for quality anymore.

Thanks please feel free to add more thoughts. I will update the forum with a progress report.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
Gramozeka said:
chimmike: the reason for 2.5 is that as I said before we already own a 1.8 which is a big dissapointement especially when merging in to a moving traffic or getting to highway speeds from a stop sign higway entrance. I don't whant the car to be maxed out the every time It has to merge in to traffic. So I whant a little extra margine to be there. Also going on long highway inclines I hate when the transmision down shifts and holds rpm near redline. You think my mom will do anything about that absolutle not so if the incline is 2 miles long the engine will be reving up all the time which I think just spells trouble in the long run.

NickZac: I can't go for 2.0 since those cars are too old.

After all this sugsestions I will consider the 1.8 but I really whant something with a lilte more assurence on the road. Before I was motivated by relibility of sentras I have heard about but from reading the forums I guess the reliability isn't what it use to be. And even Nissan is not a guarnatee for quality anymore.

Thanks please feel free to add more thoughts. I will update the forum with a progress report.
The 2001SE is a guarentee of quality...I'de consider letting your year cut drop back one and looking into an SE if quality is what your game is. The SR20 is about as bulletproof as an engine in the Americas can be. If you dont believe me just look at guys with older cars with the same engine; 150k, 200k, 250k and even some are working on 300k miles.

·