Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys could really use some advice. My daughters car 99 Sentra 1.6 Ltre GXE LE had the cam timing chain jump. When I pulled the head and low and behold six broken valves. I have seen a lot of bent valves in my day but none ever broke. Any way the head is shot. My questions are do I need to replace the head bolts on this engine when reassembling assuming they look great? Anybody know where to source up a refurbed OM6 Head? The last unrelated question is she needs ball joints. I saw a couple on Ebay that were not the whole control arm that supposedly fits the 99 Sentra. I thought that the arm needs to be replaced is that correct or can you you do just the ball joints? Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,244 Posts
re: Ball joints.
Yes you can replace just the ball joints, you will need a press or put it in to a machine shop to press them out and new ones in. Also an option is a press type tool from Autozone on loan, others have reported they made it work !!
Sorry about your engine, how many miles ?
you may be better off getting a low mileage engine complete, parts are expensive and used engines relatively cheap.
BTW there are complete arms available from auto parts suppliers like Rock Auto that are cheaper than OEM.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,244 Posts
add to that the cost of the timing chain components and gaskets....
Was there any damage to the pistons ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Small nick on one. Timing chain already purchased and I would put that on a JY motor anyways.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts