Nissan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· ZPOOLNZ
1,736 Posts
KaRdoN said:
heres my only question, what do you mean by low octane gas, we have 87 down here in FL, and everyone and their dog uses it. I dont think the Z would have any trouble running on a lower octane gas, unless its designed for race fuel.. :rolleyes:
Go back to OT if you can't post useful/correct information. Like Zen said there are reasons that the VQ35DE has a minimum ocatane requirement. There is the threat of detonation, and if not that the ecu will pull timing so much the car will be limping around.

· ZPOOLNZ
1,736 Posts
IreiMember said:
always try to stay with what oem specs are and what they reccomend. the rating on fuels is nothing other than a ping rating. absolutely nothing will ever happen if you use 87 it may not burn as clean as 91 obviously. but as far as power gains lol please... thats like saying puting in 110 octane in a car with a compresson ratio of 9:1 is gonna make it faster LOL .

as far as your specific problem goes it could be many things and to many for me or anyone else on this forum to speculate on. it sucks any way u slice it especially for a new car.

gl

Irei
Do you know anything? From reading your posts I can assume that you don't. A 350Z will NOT make the same power on 87 if anything the ecu will pull timing and go into limp mode. If you don't know what your talking about don't give incorrect information that could cause problems for other users.

· ZPOOLNZ
1,736 Posts
IreiMember said:
lol james its obvious you dont know crap about engines. yeah ok i guess your right you will loose 1 hp if you choose 87 over 91 sorry i stand corrected.

race fuel is for race engines (yes people in the business call these engines not motors)with high compression. hince the need for higher octane fuels..... as far as posting false information. james im not the one who picks eveyrones postings apart on this forum. sorry i live in the real world if that offends you sorry get a life. no need in feeding ppl full of bull crap

oh and for someone who is so quick to point out faults maybe you should read up about some of the things "you claim to know about" id really like to know what your background is with the Z car or any car for that matter

Irei
I've built/building a Z31T, worked on Z32s, I have been around and worked on the 350Z; I have been around/in development of parts for the 350Z. I know all of the guys that design parts at Crawford, and many of my friends own 350Zs. If you think all you will lose is 1hp your dead wrong. The ecu will pull timing to the point where the car is not making any power; and just trying to avoid detonation. Now I have a life the thing is everything I have read that you posted is incorrect. Unless you know what your talking about don't post because I will continue to correct you so you don't cause problems for someone that reads your posts.

· ZPOOLNZ
1,736 Posts
10.3:1 is the compression on the 03-05 VQ35DE found in the 350Z (minus the 05 track and 35th anniversary). The engine doesn't exactly have "low" compression. In every thread you have come back saying you will have proof. The fact is you do not. You continue to post B.S. that could cause problems for other users. In fact thus far you have not posted one piece of useful information. So sit back for awhile and absorb some knowledge before you start posting. That way you won't post the wrong information.

I have noticed you know nothing about the engine managment on any car. And since you know NOTHING about Zs and especially the 350Z please stop trying to act like you know everything. The engine will pull timing and ALOT more then you are letting on. You act like it won't effect anything when in reality it DOES. Please you have NO experience with the car. I'm sick of telling you over and over again your wrong.

And 100 octane will help on the 350Z it cost to much to be practical, but dynos have shown a 7rwhp gain from running 100 octane gas. Also low octane has caused pinging in the Z33. Performance gains aren't exact, but people have slips showing a .3 second difference between 91 and 100 octane in the 1/4 mile.

· ZPOOLNZ
1,736 Posts
Spongerider said:
We are talking about the Z33, right? The ECU from the factory is tuned to 91 octane and the Z33 compression is 10.3:1 (fact) not 9:1. Have you noticed that it is very hard to make power on these cars? The reason is that Nissan has tuned the Z33 to it's optimal and why it's important to put in high octane gas. Anything less will drop your HP considerably and I'm not talking 5 hps (there is a reason the variable timing is used in this car). You won't find a dyno comparisions of octane difference because it's a waste of money and know one in there right mind would subject a $30+K Z to that kind of abuse.

Originally Posted by IreiMember
"Higher Octane fuels in low compresson engines will not produce more power PERIOD!"

I hate to say it but this statement puts you in the John.. A Z32 has a compression of 8.5:1 and when this car came out the octane rating in Cali was 92 and when they switched over to 91 octane people with JWT ECU's went into safety boost. What does that tell you?? If you have some knowledge of how a car works this is telling you octane does count.

If you do have data please post it I do have a open mind?
Very good post. You put it in words better then I did.

I didn't point out the knock sensor Zen good point, the EJ25 has more problems then the knock sensor, the ecu is just a pain and it is hard to keep the pre 05 STis away from knock. In 05 they redid the ecu so now that is no longer a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.