Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. Here's the problem I had on my 84 200sx. My brother (big mistake) was changing out the alternator on the car without my supervision and hooked up the alternator wrong. No big sparks or anything but of course the car would not start. I found the problem right away and corrected it. The battery ended up being dead, so I replaced it. The car starts with no problems but about half or most of the electronic stuff is not working. The few things that work are the windshield wipers and the headlight motors. A long list of other things that does not work include the headlights themselves, brake lights, signal lights, hazard lights, horn, stereo, interior overhead light, guages,and just about anything else you can think of. The car is driveable but not legal without the signal and brake lights. Does anyone know where I can begin to look for any problems. I checked the basics like the fuses and any damaged wires. None of the wires look cooked and no blown fuses. Where else could I look or what normally goes out when the alternator is incorrectly connected. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
check near the positive batterie post for a fuse link. that wath normally brings power to the fuse box. if it happened to a sentra it would definitely havent started... lucky thing you didnt blow anything else... IMO, the first thing to check is fuse link near the batterie and maybe the relays next to it.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
ditto, theres a box of fuse links to check out, and if you can check out all the relays. Worst comes to worst you could have blown all the components...but doubtful if the normal fuses are ok.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gsolo said:
ditto, theres a box of fuse links to check out, and if you can check out all the relays. Worst comes to worst you could have blown all the components...but doubtful if the normal fuses are ok.
Yeah I checked out the fusible links and nothing out of the ordinary. Everything looks OK. I noticed that one of the wires coming off the alternator is burned. Just a little black but the wire is intact and still looks usable. Do you think by chance that this could be my problem and maybe I should re wire it. I need to spend a little more time under the hood, but man I was pissed when my brother did that. This is my favorite car!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's also weird because sometimes everything will work, but most of the time it won't. The other day I started it and warmed it up. After a few minutes the chime came on and my dash lit up. Everything worked like it was suppose to. If I turn the car off, then restart it, there is a chance it won't work correctly. I am confused about this. :wtf:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts