Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today my car just cut off while driving, i got someone to come and jump start me, but the car only ran for about 10 seconds then cut off again. im guessing that this is not a battery problem and it is probably the alternator. i have a 96 200sx ser, has anyone had to install a new alternator here? if so is there a site with a guide to installing one? and how hard would it be? cause i know that nissan will probably charge me like $500 for the install. or do you think it could be something else?? any help at all would be appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
393 Posts
i had that problem w/ my b12. it was a problem w/ the distributor.

·
Registered
260 Posts
phrostbyte47 said:
today my car just cut off while driving, i got someone to come and jump start me, but the car only ran for about 10 seconds then cut off again. im guessing that this is not a battery problem and it is probably the alternator. i have a 96 200sx ser, has anyone had to install a new alternator here? if so is there a site with a guide to installing one? and how hard would it be? cause i know that nissan will probably charge me like $500 for the install. or do you think it could be something else?? any help at all would be appreciated. thanks.
You should get a voltmeter and check to see if it is really the alternator that's causing the problem.

- alternator will be somewhere $80 ~ 150, get one from Pepboys or something like that.

- installation is like $100 ~ $150..

It's not hard, but take time because the bolts that holding the alternator are hard to reach, and the space is narrow down there. If you have the time and tools, do it. I'll get the instruction later for you once you find out it really is the alternator.

If do go to Pepboys, get yourself a mannual to your car. It helps a lot.

my $.02

Lucino

·
Red line chaser
814 Posts
I would like to second checking the distributor, plus also the cap/rotor button assy.

·
Registered
393 Posts
if you want to rule out the alternator... just start her up... (assuming she'll sustain a run as she is) while she's running... disconnect the negative terminal from the battery. the car is supposed to be self-sufficient and run off the alternator. if it dies, get a new alternator

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the car just doesn't start just makes a really fast repeated clicking noise. i dont have a volt meter to test the alternator. any other ways to check what is wrong?

·
Registered
354 Posts
buy a new battery. install that then start the car up drive to your local auto parts store that has a charging diagnostic machine(out here its Schuck that has one) have them hook everything up and let them test it. if they say its the alternator then by one and install(or have one installed).

·
Registered
138 Posts
dude the same thing happened to me on my way to go do some street racing. here's what happened my cd player cut off then my indiglos got really dull then my headlights got dull. my car started to putt around for a minuet then it cut off. my friends jump started the car then i hopped in it and drove for 20 yards then it cut off again. after the third time jumping it my friend got his 4runner and we towed it to my house. now to the point it was the alternator. i got it the next morning , then me and my dad installed it in about 30 minuets. do it your self you'll save alot of money. peace dude

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thanks i was pretty sure it was the alternator, im going to pick on up tommorow and install on sat., ill keep you posted. thanks a lot.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just had an alternator installed on my 95 Sentra GXE today.... Pricing at PEPBOYS is as follows -- was 20 bucks for diagnostic.. and replacing alternator including labor was $218. not too bad.. Has a lifetime warranty too...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ok im riding home from school right and this was when the hurricanes were bad down here in FL, ok so i hear a loud pop and thought i just ran something over, oh well. As im going over a bridge in the pouring rain to go to work my radio starts cutting out, then my wipers slow down the my light s turn off, oh fuck! so i get off the bridge and there is a big10 so i stop and they tell me i need a new alternater so then i go to inspect my car, guess what the belt was in shreds intangled in everything, so check the belt, it could be something that simple.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok i finally got everything working, it was the alternator. it was a bitch to get out, i had to drain the radiator and take the hoses off to sqeeze it out, and when i go the new one, which ran about $160 i had to use a dremel to grind down the brackets on the alternator so it would fit on the the brackets in the car. o well it was cheaper than taking it somewhere and getting it done, thanks for the help everyone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts