Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i am new to these fourms and i have just bought a 1992 nissan 240sx and i have some questions...

1. tell me this my car is a 5spd but has an overdrive light on the right beside the rear windshield wiper/washer button, why? what is susposed to be there?

2. i was told my car is a se due to it having SE on the hatch but i have come to relize it has no power windows or locks or mirrors, is there a way to make at least the mirrors power?, like a how to?

3. around 2000 rpm the engine shakes abnormaly and sounds like its backfiring i have repaced the fuel filter and put new spark plugs (NGK)..anything else i should look for/or do?

4. a/c does not work, when i press the a/c button, no light comes on, maybe no a/c in my car...what would i look for in the engine bay to show that i have a/c

thanks alot guys, like i said i am new to these fourms, i sold my 94 integra gsr to buy this 240sx, becuse i love the RWD, and am planning for a sr20det swap, all the info i can get will be helpfull

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think you got ripped off. Sounds to me like you were sold an auto that was converted to 5 spd, which would explain the overdrive light and lack of a/c, and if so it wouldn't surprise me if the owner also lied about it being an SE when it is probably a base model (hence no power locks/windows). If you really want to be sure run a background check using vin either at DOT or carfax. As for a/c it was probably cut when the engine was swapped and you can check by looking for the compressor or the hose near the firewall (where it is usually chopped when an engine is removed). Hope this helps. Sorry if you did get cheated.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i own an s14 so i'm not entirely familiar with the s13's, but im thinking you were mislead also. I wouldnt go so far as to say you were ripped off (unless you paid too much) because after all, you have a 240 now! But yeah, there's a guy who lives in a nearby city to me who owns an s13 that ive talked to a couple of times. He has the SE badge on the back of his car, but he also has no power windows/locks. So im thinking that either a.)the SE's didnt have pl/pw on the s13 chasis (which is bizarre) or b.)the guy i know, possibly like the person u bought the car from, thought it may somehow increase the value of the car by putting the SE badge on it, even though it was a base model.

The overdrive light being there probably means that it was converted from auto to stick. Again, im not sure, but there may be some way to analyze the VIN number on your car to determine whether or not it was an SE, auto, etc. Someone else on this forum may be able to help you there, or you could talk to a nissan dealer about how to break down the VIN numbers. Like i said, its only a theory, so i may be wrong.

Either way, congrats on ur purchase!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i opened the light up and its not even hooked up its just there, and i found out that the rear axel has "91 240sx" written in yellow on it so now i guess the cars made up of several others or something, i paid 5000 canadian, the ka24de in it is in good cond. besides the vibrating it has 177 kilometers on it, but the body is in really good shape, i have removed the rear spolier, added new tires, new gas tank (old one leaked) and the previous owner spray painted (smoked) the taillgihts, so i cleaned that off so the cars in good shape but the wiring looks tampered with...a good sr swap will or at least i hope make the car worth it

·
Registered
16 Posts
a '91 axle? Wow it is starting to sound more and more like your car was gutted and put back together. At this point I'd start worrying about why it had to be taken apart. Check the frame to make sure it wasn't in any serious accidents because sometimes people do their own hack jobs to avoid the 'salvage' title. You can also check to see if the engine was swapped by matching the vin on the dash to the vin on the engine (that is if the owner didn't scratch it off). And if the a/c is hooked up, the guy probably just didn't charge it after he swapped the engine. But I give you props for taking it with a grin, cuz I know I'd be pissed if I found out my car wasn't what I thought I bought.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha, well ive been waiting to get my hands on a 240sx for awhile i had fun with my gsr, vtec and all but i needed rwd and ive heard big numbers comming off with the sr swap, its about 4,113.19 american. the numbers match so the engine is the original i guess?, the diff is new....what kind of diff is in that car?. the car has rust everywhere incl. the interior. how much in canadian will a full sr swap incl. installation roughly set me back?. and what is the main diffrences in the rad and black top sr20det's?

you guys have been great, thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
Black tops are just a little newer than the reds, there are some miniscule differences.

You might have a LSD swapped from a different car. check for any stickers or markings on the diff case.

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
RMS13 said:
well isnt it true that all canadian 240sx's have lsd's??
Some were sold in Canada that were US Federal. Also I think a few dealers in Canada sold Japanese made 240SX's. I decoded my VIN, and my car was manufactured in Japan, and sold in California. Having no A/C isn't bad, in fact, I think A/C is just too heavy for me. The sputtering problem sounds like a vaccuum leak.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im going to give this car the benfit of the doubt the OD button is rather odd, but I always find stuff at junkyards. Mine has a black button so if I found one I would probably add it to my car.
As far as the SE sticker, run the VIN and that will tell you, my 1990 240sx has power everything with a sunroof and I bought it unmolested in semi mint condition and it had no SE sticker on the rear. But after I ran the VIN the carfax showed it was a SE....I doubt the couple I bought it from took the sticker off.
For the shaking I would also try spark plug wires, it might just need basic maintence. Even try running higher octane gas, it sounds like its detonating.
For the AC problem you should describe that problem better, when I got my 240 the AC/heat only came out of the defrost vents, and if i tried to change the setting it wouldnt change and no lights come on. Not even the AC button..I have been told that my problem is the mode door motor located behind the dash.
Good luck. You did great...another Honda coming to the Nissan craze!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i dunno man the gsr ripped right outta the box, very fast compared to this stock 240, but the sx has lots of tq at low end which i like. yah it says my car was made in japan, and a history report says its rebuilt and from out of province, so i guess it was peiced back together....when i press the a/c button the green light doest come on plus i dont hear a change in sound comming from the engine. i agree i dont need a/c but its nice to have.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Vehicle Description
Year: 1992 Make: NISSAN Model: 240SX

Claim History - this vehicle has 2 claim(s)
Was the vehicle reported as Salvage, Rebuilt, Altered? REBUILT
Was the vehicle imported from outside BC? YES , CANADIAN, 03SEP2002
Are there any ICBC claims involving vehicle damage? YES

Claim Date Type of Claim Amount Paid Nature of Payment
03-Sep-2004 COLLISION NOT AVAILABLE TOTAL LOSS
20-Jul-2004 VANDALISM $3524.96 REPAIRS

this is what i found out, when it says model: 240sx, if it was a se would it say that or what

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
RMS13 said:
Vehicle Description
Year: 1992 Make: NISSAN Model: 240SX

Claim History - this vehicle has 2 claim(s)
Was the vehicle reported as Salvage, Rebuilt, Altered? REBUILT
Was the vehicle imported from outside BC? YES , CANADIAN, 03SEP2002
Are there any ICBC claims involving vehicle damage? YES

Claim Date Type of Claim Amount Paid Nature of Payment
03-Sep-2004 COLLISION NOT AVAILABLE TOTAL LOSS
20-Jul-2004 VANDALISM $3524.96 REPAIRS

this is what i found out, when it says model: 240sx, if it was a se would it say that or what
You need to fully decode the VIN. It's actually kind of fun, you get to learn all kinds of neat facts about your car. The more you've done to it, or the more that has been done to it, the cooler it is to decode the VIN and imagine what the car was like when it rolled off the lot. I kinda want to track down the guy that bought my car when it was new in 1989 and show him my 1997 KA24DET with T04E... Haha.

·
Registered
16 Posts
RMS13 said:
i owuld want to track down the guy who abused my car and give hima swift kick in the nuts, ive treated all my cars good, better than i would treat myself, some people are mean, haha
Haha If my car had the same record as yours I would want to track down the guy too! Two accidents within a couple of months! Jeez...

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
Shift_240 said:
Haha If my car had the same record as yours I would want to track down the guy too! Two accidents within a couple of months! Jeez...
That poor fool got vandalized and had an accident within the half year... If that happened to me, I'd be in a rampage, killing everything in sight. Of course, I'm only a few steps short of guarding my car with a shotgun in hand, 24/7. Right now, my car is the best thing in my life.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well, i got the 240 now so its all good, i just need a sr and i think it should be great then ill move on to the body then back to upgrading the engine. i couldnt find any candian engine importers tho, how much american did you guys shell out to get a decent sr + the swap done

·
Registered
44 Posts
most shops that i know of charge around 1000-1500 dollars american (800-1200 canadian) for the labor, and the motors, depending on whether or not you get a front clip, can range anywhere from $2000-4500 (1600-3500 canadian) so you'd probably be looking at around 2-3k canadian...sorry i dont have any info for swap shops in canada, but im almost positive that there are a couple...have you tried google searching it? If that doesnt help, go to nissanperformancemag.com and email someone there and ask - they've helped me quite a bit in finding sr swap shops! Good luck!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts