Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1991 nissan nx with a sr20DE motor, i drove 800km until my alternator seized up and broke the belt and harmonic balancer, i have a new battery, new alternator, belts and the harmonic balancer was repaired (welded) but there are still two lights on in the dash, the battery and the brake one. any ideas?? i need it fixxed ASAP so any input would be great! i was told to check all the fuses and relays but they are all fine and was told to check the voltage regulator ( is it internal or is there one in the body of the car??) thanks heaps.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
If both lights are on its not charging but i think you knew that.
Get a voltmeter and check the output from the alternator, i assume its bad,
Check the cables and connections.
If ok remove and get Alternator checked, i think its bad.
EL 48 in the B13 FSM trouble shooting flow says this is Alternator not Voltage regulator.
It looks like the voltage regulator is internal on all these ....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's a recon alternator but has blown two voltage regulators.. maybe my stereo system is shorting it out, it's very high powered with three amps 2 subs and 6 speakers so that might be whats causing the problem? ? i got the alternator charging but it blew another voltage regulator (internal)

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
The alternator will self current limit, this is not controlled by the voltage regulator.
So you might discharge and flatten your battery but you shouldn't damage the voltage regulator.
the voltage regulator looks at the out put voltage and compares this with a built in reference voltage.
It then allows and regulates current to the rotor via the brushes. This is maybe 2 amps max.
If the Voltage regulator is blowing up repeatedly i suspect an internal short in the alternator, probably the rotor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts