Nissan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I love my X-trail. It's a mid 2004 Sport DCi. It drives well, it's very comfortable and is probably the best car I've ever had, but..........

I bought it secondhand from a local Nissan dealer in January 2007 when it had 20,000 miles on the clock. At 26,000 miles, the turbo went in July 2007. It was off the road for about a month. Luckily, although it was 1 month out of warranty, Nissan UK agreed to supply a replacement turbo free of charge. The labour cost was paid by the 3 year extended warranty that I took out when I bought the car.

Since then, I have been very careful. I don't drive it at over 3,000 revs, I change the oil every 6 months, I let it warm up for a minute before driving away, I let it run for a minute after stopping to cool down, etc, etc.

Notwithstanding all these precautions, on Saturday with 44,000 miles on the clock, the turbo started making noises like a police siren again, so it's going back to the Nissan dealer this afternoon, and I know what the prognosis will be. This time however, it will be me that's paying for it.

I don't want to get rid of it, so I would appreciate anybody's advice as to anything I can do to prevent it happening again. Is there any kind of additive I can put in the oil or the fuel? Should I be driving more carefully? Why do some cars get it and others don't?

Also does anyone know if Nissan solved this problem with the later models? Are 2005 and 2006 models still affected by frequent turbo failure?

Any advice would be appreciated

Graham

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Further to my post above, just taken the vehicle into my local Nissan dealer who tells me that Nissan UK are now giving a 5 year warranty parts and labour on turbos from new, and that it looks like they've got some kind of modification to alleviate whatever problem is causing them to fail. Also they say that only the early dCis were affected. Those built after 2005 are better

1 - 2 of 2 Posts