Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 Nissan D21 Hardbody, V6, 3.0 4x4, 169,000 miles. I have over 10,000.00 in it since June of 2019. It is currently cutting out, no power, 40mph if I am lucky by the time I get to the top of a hill, check engine light comes on & then goes off, using gas like there is no tomorrow. Also speedometer is sporadically not working. Supposed to have my son cut out the Catalytic Converter Sunday & straight pipe it. Please any correct guidance would be so greatly appreciated.
Thank You,
Michelle

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,146 Posts
Since the "check engine light" keeps coming on then off repeatedly, the ECU is reporting a fault. You need to get an ECU readout to see which code is being set. There's a good chance that the problem might be caused by a bad MAF or a bad camshaft position sensor that's located inside the distributor or there may be a problem with the charging system.

·
Software Developer
668 Posts
Since the "check engine light" keeps coming on then off repeatedly, the ECU is reporting a fault. You need to get an ECU readout to see which code is being set. There's a good chance that the problem might be caused by a bad MAF or a bad camshaft position sensor that's located inside the distributor or there may be a problem with the charging system.
Check the codes because his ECU is in limp mode.

That's what I told him when he posted this on Facebook earlier today

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,869 Posts
I would figure out what's wrong with it before tampering with the catalytic converter; there may be nothing wrong with it. If you suspect a restricted exhaust, do an exhaust back pressure test. If you live near an Autozone or Advance Auto Parts, they may have a tester in their tool loaner program. This could also be caused by a failing fuel pump, so test the fuel pressure and make sure it's within specs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts