Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, don't laugh at my question but I just want to be sure I replace the right part here...... I just put a new/used battery in my car like 3 -4 months ago after having the stock one in there since I bought the car in 99. Now my stereo light keeps dimming and turns off and back on usually when the car is comming to a stop or when I'm not giving it gas. Keep in mind I have an amp running on there too...... Is this an alternator problem?? Sounds like it to me..... and its still stock but just want to make sure.... thanks for all your help!!! :cheers:

·
My ass, your face
3,520 Posts
sounds like a battery to me....usually when the alternator is starting to go bad, u will see the brake and battery lights on the dash light up simultaneously..

·
new motor & tranny
1,756 Posts
take a tester and test the battery when the car is on and running with a load, like headlights ..radio..etc . If the alternator is charging perfectly..then it would say AT LEAST 13 Volts but most of the time its closer to 14. When the car is not running the battery would probobly read somewhere between 12 and 12.5V.

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
like b14 said, you can test it yourself.

you need a voltmeter of course. start with the car off, put the two leads of the meter on the two leads of the battery, it should read 12v.

now turn the car on and do the same thing, it should now read 14v

if its low with the car off then its the battery, if its low with the car on then its the alty. :cheers:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea that's what I was thinking of more along the lines of the battery. This one guy that is my roommate was trying to be nice and put this piece of Sh*** older battery in when I would have just went out and bought one. The factory battery lasted me a good 5 years. I'll test it first and see what happens!! Thank you for your help and I'll let you guys know how it goes! :givebeer:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts