Nissan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided today would be a good day to change my automatic transmission fluid, so I searched around the website, read how to do it and got to work. As mentioned earlier of this forum, removing all the filter bolts leaves a nut and washer loose above the control assembly. Judging by the fact that the fluid (to my knowledge) had never been changed and came out looking black, I decided it was worth the effort to replace the fillter, clean out the pans, clean off the magnets, etc. So I searched the forum some more and found the info I needed to lower the assembly, replace the filter and put it all back together. I even did the "power flush" by disconnecting the cooler and flushing fluid until it was a nice bright red.

So finally I get her back on the road and guess what, now it won't shift into third! Any ideas on what I'm looking for when I open it back up. I never disconnected/removed the servo motors, I triple checked that the "tube assemblies" and thos levers connecting to the shifter and kickdown cable were reinstalled correctly.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought having all the details might be important if aomeone's trying to help. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, so I've got the valve body back out. Can someone post the FSM picture of what's supposed to be on top of this? I know where the spring goes, but there are two poppet type things that came out and three gasketed holes in the main part of the tranny. Which ones do they go in? Are there supposed to be three poppet things? Holy crap I screwed up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
94 transmission

to change the fluid and filter just the pan had to be removed. whats all this about valve body. Did you try and fix the loose nut?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Somehow, the patron saint of automatic transmissions has smiled on me. I had a (I'm not making this up) lip seal that wasn't where it was supposed to be. Guess it shifted while I was putting the valve body back in the first time. The two poppets I described earlier were part of the upper valve body.

So after a lot of panicking, I am the proud owner of a RL4F03A with pristine fluid, a new filter and gasket and everything where it's supposed to be. I honestly think the fluid may never have been changed in the 191K miles. It was black as tar and thin as water. No wonder it shifts better now. Let's see what this does to my mileage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
broken transmission

congradulations. what can you see in there with the valve body out?

can you replace the bands or clutches? probably going to repace mine soon.

I left the bolt loose and other posts say it doesn't hurt anything . seems strange it's set up that way. you do have to remove it to get the filter out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, you can't access anything with the valve body out, just the parking latch thing. Knowing now what I didn't know then, I'd say leaving the nut and washers loose won't hurt anything. I didn't see any opening in the transmission body or valve body large enough for the nut or washer to go into. Eventually, it'll work it's way down to the pan and get caught on the magnets. However, the bolt through the filter is also one of the bolts that hold the upper and lower halves of the valve body together. What a terrible idea on Nissan's part.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thanks for the post. Some great information. :)

What a terrible idea on Nissan's part.
I agree. ^ Maybe they decided the filter would not need to be changed? Reminds me of a B2600i truck I had. A U-joint went out. Took it to my mechanic, and to his surprise it was non-servicable. You had to buy a $700 drive shaft from the dealership to replace the u-joints.

·
Because Size Matters
1,260 Posts
Some of the older Toyota trucks are like that too... can't replace the u-joints. what a waste of money.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Everything seems to be holding together. It has been as cold as it ever gets here and I've been trying to "trick" it into picking the wrong gear or making a really hard shift and it hasn't faltered at all, even before warmup. Guess it's gonna hold for while. Wish I had a picture of this fluid. I've never seen black ATF. This tranny must be bulletproof!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Please, help

Hi,

I did the same mistake - removed all the bolts that hold the filter and can't put one back cause of that stupid nut.

Is that really safe to leave the bolt out? Can't the nut get into some moving part and destroy the whole transmission? The car is in the garage and I'm afraid to drive it.

Also you say I can take off the valve body and find the nut? How difficult it is to take the valve body off? Any secret? I'm afraid that it will fall apart and I won't be able to put it together.

Thanks a alot,
Leon

94econobox said:
No, you can't access anything with the valve body out, just the parking latch thing. Knowing now what I didn't know then, I'd say leaving the nut and washers loose won't hurt anything. I didn't see any opening in the transmission body or valve body large enough for the nut or washer to go into. Eventually, it'll work it's way down to the pan and get caught on the magnets. However, the bolt through the filter is also one of the bolts that hold the upper and lower halves of the valve body together. What a terrible idea on Nissan's part.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Found the nut and washer, everything is in place now

Just wanted to thank 94econobox and Sethticlees for their valuable advices. I did lower the valve body, put the bolt back and secured it with the nut, and put the valve body back. One small trick I did was that I put the center bolt upside down, and the nut now is underneath the filter, so I can change the filter any time I want without messing up with the valve body (this is not my invention - one Nissan mechanic told me to do that).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts