Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently brought a '98 Nissan Sentra GXE....It came with the standard Audio system....
First of all.....does anyone know how many Watts the Original Audio Player produces???

Second of all, Im a 16 year old, so my budget is kinda tight....So what would be the best way to sup up my audio system..... I do want it nice and loud, but NOT loud enough to rock the car!!!

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I dont know how many watts the head unit produces. Is it a tape player, cd player, or just a radio. When I started my system my budget was tight too. This is how I started my system.

1) I got a new headunit.

2) Got an amp and subs.

3) Then I installed some new speakers.

Dont try to buy everything at once because that will kill you. It took me a while to get this, and I still dont have enough money to do what I want.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, this is just a basic radio and Casette player (and a bad one at that!)......
OK....the headunit.....im new at this....so u gotta please help me out..... A headunit is the a set of speakers which u put above the back seat right??
And Amplifiers.....whats its specs? Is it really important to add an Amp? or can I add speakers without Amps?

Z-Man

P.S:- 97 Sentra rite? Added any other stuff to it?

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
The head unit is the thing in the dash that you play the music with. CD Player, Kassette Player, or radio. It is the "brain" of the system because its what sends the music to the speakers. There are so many amps, which you would have to look through and see what you can afford, what is good, and so on. You can get new speakers now, and dont necessarily need an amp, but if you dont get an amp, atleast get a new radio which can push the speakers more. Im getting some speakers now, and down the road adding an amp for the added power, but the amp is not required.

·
Registered
170 Posts
zman said:
OK....the headunit.....im new at this....so u gotta please help me out..... A headunit is the a set of speakers which u put above the back seat right??
A headunit is the actual radio/cd player/tape player...the tuner in general.

Is it really important to add an Amp? or can I add speakers without Amps?
You can add speakers without an amp no problem, so long as they're rated/optimizedfor lower wattage. Most aftermarket CD players are rated at about 45-50 watts. This means you get about 12 watts per channel peak. If you head up to Best Buy for instance, Blaupunkts are a really good way to go. They're a good quality, good sounding speaker for a decent price. So if you just want better sound and a cd player, find a cd headunit you like, and then pick up some speakers. You can always add amps and subs later.

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
The usual rule of thumb is that the stock HU is junk-tastic. You're looking at maybe 10w RMS. However, it's not a total wash. I would recommend picking up some Blaupunkt, Infinity, or Kenwood 6.5" speakers and putting them in for starters. See what you think, and then worry about the HU. Blaus, Infinitys, and Kenwoods all have high enough sensitivity to respond to stock HU power, but high enough RMS ratings to stand an aftermarket CD player. You're looking at spending ~$70 for a real nice 3-way set that will sound great for a starter system.

·
Registered
323 Posts
ah to the days when 70 dollars quenched my audio needs in a speaker, and now I pine for the focal component set, cost 750 a pair, but I can get most stuff at dealer cost now a days, so hey :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
omega said:
ah to the days when 70 dollars quenched my audio needs in a speaker, and now I pine for the focal component set, cost 750 a pair, but I can get most stuff at dealer cost now a days, so hey :)
Mmmmm, Focals :) I'll just "settle" for my Image Dynamics for now.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Yeh.. first I bought a

1.) Kenwood CD-Dash 200w... 50 watts to each speaker for $180

then after a week went by or so I bought

2.) Kenwood 6 1/2' rear and front speakers $59.99 a pair, 280 watts a piece

now I am trying to save for an MTX amp and Kenwood Subs.
I am getting the 2 10' inch subs complete ina box with Plexiglass view for only $130 bux, with 800 watts max in each Sub.

I have been saving for the Subs and Amp for 3 weeks now :)

You do not need an amplifier for the speakers and subwoofers, most people only get and amp to power the Subwoofers. Unless you got alot of money then you can have the amp power the speakers and subwoofers, but I recommend have the
Headunit power the speakers, and an Amp power your subwoofers if you get any

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The reason I installed my amp before my speakers is because when I bought the car it had the stock speakers up front and had some on the rear deck. They sounded ok so I just got the amp and subs installed. I am now installing some new speakers because the ones in there are begining to sound really really bad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts