Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the diff?? between an SR20... VR20...??? all those?? im assuming they are all 2L engines.. duh.. what special from one to the next?

ive noticed these diff engine codes before.. but never took it upon myself to learn about them.. guess its time to
 

·
Nismophiliac
Joined
·
1,517 Posts
you mean the sr20ve? and the sr16ve? sr20de(t)? which one. They all are 2.0L (with the exception of the 16) thats a sr20 destroked to a 1.6L. just like a 400cid engine witha 350cid crank (destroked 383.) VE stands for nissan's variable timing much like honda;s vtec. SR20DET stands for it's self.
 

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
Joined
·
7,111 Posts
Marty01 said:
whats the diff?? between an SR20... VR20...??? all those?? im assuming they are all 2L engines.. duh.. what special from one to the next?

ive noticed these diff engine codes before.. but never took it upon myself to learn about them.. guess its time to
Here's something about Nissan engine codes:

The first two letters denote the engine series/type. KA, SR, RB, VG, VQ, L, QR, ZH, VH, etc.

The next two numbers denote the displacement (in liters) of the engine. 24 is 2.4 liters, 30 is 3.0 liters, etc.

The NEXT letter (either blank, D, or V) denotes the valvetrain. No designation means it is a SOHC engine, D is a DOHC engine, and V is Nissan's
designation for variable valve timing (aka VTEC in Honda terms), plus DOHC.

The next letter denotes the fuel delivery type. A blank letter is carburetor, E is Electronic Multiport Fuel Injection, and D is Direct Injection. There is also "i", which stands for Throttle Body Fuel Injection.

The last letter(s) denotes forced induction. A blank letter is naturally aspirated. T is for turbocharged applications, with each turbo using one "T". Twin turbo's are TT, and triple turbo's (if it was ever made) would be TTT. Supercharged applications are noted with a R.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rogoman said:
Here's something about Nissan engine codes:

The first two letters denote the engine series/type. KA, SR, RB, VG, VQ, L, QR, ZH, VH, etc.

The next two numbers denote the displacement (in liters) of the engine. 24 is 2.4 liters, 30 is 3.0 liters, etc.

The NEXT letter (either blank, D, or V) denotes the valvetrain. No designation means it is a SOHC engine, D is a DOHC engine, and V is Nissan's
designation for variable valve timing (aka VTEC in Honda terms), plus DOHC.

The next letter denotes the fuel delivery type. A blank letter is carburetor, E is Electronic Multiport Fuel Injection, and D is Direct Injection. There is also "i", which stands for Throttle Body Fuel Injection.

The last letter(s) denotes forced induction. A blank letter is naturally aspirated. T is for turbocharged applications, with each turbo using one "T". Twin turbo's are TT, and triple turbo's (if it was ever made) would be TTT. Supercharged applications are noted with a R.
You Sir... are a wealth on knowledge to this beginner in the wonerful world of Nissan!


now one question about the fuel delivery type... "D" would be directly into the cylinder correct?? im unfarmilliar with this typpe of injection with Nissan

the other 2 ive seen/dealt with from friends' cars in the past

Thanks again for the rite up
 

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
Joined
·
7,111 Posts
Marty01 said:
now one question about the fuel delivery type... "D" would be directly into the cylinder correct?? im unfarmilliar with this typpe of injection with Nissan
"D" is directly into the cylinder; I think that method of injection is not used much anymore. Read somewhere that port injection produces a much better overall mixture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rogoman said:
"D" is directly into the cylinder; I think that method of injection is not used much anymore. Read somewhere that port injection produces a much better overall mixture.
cool.. another question.. between the SR, RB and VG i think... the diff would be the bottom end of the engine itself? like the SR if 4cyl and RB is 6 cyl... basically a diferent "construction" of the engine itself.. as 2 could be DOHC same displacement but different first 2 letters... which i would hafta learn that by myself hehe

id love to find some spec sheets on each type of engines so i can visualize how each is made/built etc.. any idea where i can dig stuff like that up??
 

·
Pivot 180
Joined
·
2,258 Posts
Yeah thats pretty much right.

RB - iron block, 6 cylinder inline
CA - iron block, 4 cylinder inline
SR - alloy block, 4 cylinder inline
VG - iron block, 6 cylinder 'V' config
FJ - iron block, 4 cylinder inline
KA - iron block, 4 cylinder inline

Then you have variation in all the engine types, for example the RWS SR20DET has direct ignition while the SR20DET in the FWD's have a distributer. Have fun!
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top