Nissan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
try to disengage the alarm

I had similar problems and it was my alarm that was causing random no startups. Just one question, when you try to turn the key, does it sound like its trying to turn over and just doesnt have enough to make it or does it do literally nothing, starter wise (the power to the stereo and such should still be working).

If it does sound like its trying to turn over, I would say check your battery, starter and solenoid first. It probably isn't your alarm. Power might be going to the rest of your vehicle, but there might not be enough juice to start the car or there might be a prob with you starter or solenoid. You can take all of those to most auto parts stores and they will test them for free.

If there is nothing happening when you turn the key all the way except power going to stereo and gauges and whatever else like it normally does, then it could be the alarm. Most alarms now have a starter kill function that can sometimes error. A quick way to test this, quicker than taking out your starter btw, is to try to disengage your alarm. If its a factory alarm, check the vehicle's owners manual and it should tell you how to deactivate it without having to uninstall it.

It could also be your ignition. If its the second scenario and disengaging the alarm doesn't work, try checking you ignition in your steering column. Its relatively easy to take out and put back in so its worth a shot at troubleshooting if the alarm thing doesn't work.

Good luck and let me know how it goes. I can't give you specifics cause I have a 95 and they are quite different than the 97's from what I know, but I might be able to give you general ideas.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you dont have the original owners manual, then try checking the underside of the dash on the drivers side and look for an unidentified tiny black button, about 1/4" dia, prob near the base of the steering column or something. If you see it and your sure it doesn't belong to anything else, try holding it down for about 5-10 seconds and with the button still pressed, try starting the car. If it starts, turn it off again and if the little red car alarm led on your dash or door stays off, then the alarm should be disabled. BTW, is that little red alarm light on right now, that shows your alarm is armed?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am not sure if I have the same problem or not here...

I have a 96 XE, I don't use the stock alarm system, I lost the key FOB, so I use the key for entry...

I stopped by the grocery on the way homes tonight, I was inside for no more than 15 minutes, and when I got back to the car it wouldn't start. The radio, headlights, etc. all had juice, just the starter wouldn't turn over. No noise at all. No clicking, nothing.

I have towed it home with hope to find the problem tomorrow. Any help?
Thats exactly what happened to me except my 95 XE would randomly start/not start, then months ago my dash lights and parking lights stopped working, all other lighting worked fine. Same situation where I don't use the alarm, just the key to enter vehicle. I think one of the previous owners installed an aftermarket DEI alarm on top of the factory and I dont know what happened after that.

What I did was disengaged the aftermarket alarm by disconnecting all the wires to and taking out the alarm computer. After that, everything worked fine for about a week, then the dash and parking lights went out again and haven't worked since. Ignition seems to be fine though, has fired clean and instantly as it should each and every time.

I don't know if the two probs are related, but you could try disengaging your alarm without physically removing it via owners manual instructions and see if that helps.

Otherwise, I have scoured the web for help for months on this issue and have only found this (a reply email from a different post from a guy with similar probs):

"The electrical problem has been solved. I took it to my trusty mechanic and he told me the problem was inside the dash. What it is, he stated Nissan installed two modules, that act as a breaker or fuse and they are a dealer item if purchased new. The good news is that they can be removed and repaired. Ask your local Nissan dealer (parts department) and they can give purchase price for a new one or they can find a source that can repair this item since they are integrated with your vehicles computer. I hope this will help you solve your problems, Good Luck."

I'm gonna have a mechanic buddy of mine check it out next week and I'll let you know the results. Please go to my other post on this forum that is directly related to this so that we do not saturate this one: "Dash lights and parking lights don't work" under nissan pathfinder

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.