Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just finished installing a Viper 5901 Remote Start/Alarm system along with the DEI XK05 PKN2 3.00 immobilizer bypass into my 2003 Pathfinder (A/T, 4x4, 65,350 miles). The Viper system has a starter kill so the two starter wires are isolated from the starter.

After finishing the installation, I decided to take the car for a test drive. The car started immediately with the remote starter and ran flawlessly. I then drove to my destination and turned the car off. I then came back to the car and tried starting it remotely. The car started and immediately stalled. The remote starter attempted to start the vehicle again (noticing it didn't start the first time) and the engine would just crank and not turn over at all.

I stopped the remote starter from trying to crank the vehicle and I pressed the remote start button once more, the car started up perfectly. Once I got in the car and placed it in drive, I noticed that the car was idling around 550 RPM's. The car ran fine and I was able to drive to get gas near my home.

Once I got to the gas station I turned the vehicle off. Once I was finished filling it, I tried to start it with the key. The engine would start up and then stall. The engine would rev to about 1000 RPMS's and then it would go down to about 550 RPM's and just stall; this takes a total of about 1.5 - 2.0 seconds. I was able to get the car to start and remain on by pressing the gas pedal immediately after it started and revving the engine to about 2000 RPM's, once I released the gas pedal it idled around 750 RPM's.

I drove the vehicle home and turned it off again and tried starting it an i ran into the same problem, the engine immediately stalls. I was able to start it once and the engine acted like it was going to stall but it corrected itself and stayed on and ran normally.

I currently have no Check Engine lights or anything of the sort lighting up.

I tested all of the Accessory/Ignition/Starter wires with the multimeter and they all tested out perfectly. I also cleaned my MAF sensor but no luck. I even had the XK05 Immobilizer bypass relearn my Immobilizer Data and still no luck.

I disconnected the Viper unit to ensure that it isn't the cause of the problem and the car is still having the problem. I can't really disconnect the XK05 immobilizer bypass because the car won't start at all but when it's connected and not powered on, it's just bypassed.

I was supposed to take a 5 hour drive tomorrow morning but it looks like I will be taking a 20 min. drive to the dealership instead (hoping I can get it to start and run). I really hope I can figure it out by tomorrow morning tho before the dealer tried to charge me an arm and a leg to diagnose the problem.

I really appreciate any help!!!

- Ryan

·
Registered
117 Posts
sounds like a fuel pump prob. is it working or filter clogged or mabey a bad conntact

·
Registered
184 Posts
The immobilizer on the '03 disables the fuel pump when the ignition doesn't detect the correct chip.

If this all happened right after the remote starter was installed, I'd suspect a bad connection involving the immobilizer bypass circut(s). I had a similar problem with my last car; the garage that installed my remote starter didn't solder the bypass wires to the connectors, they just wrapped them around the terminals, so if I wiggled those wires the car would start.

·
Nissan Technician
118 Posts
First impression is immobilizer. Nissan will often let the car start before checking immobilizer, then kill it if not detected.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE: The ECU needed to realearn a few things such as air intake volume and other variables. These things can be relearned by the consumer using different pedal/key combinations (pretty confusing) but the sequences have to be performed perfectly or the engine may not start/run. I took it to my local Nissan dealer and they were able to program the data in an hour.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts