Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the board but not to my 89 Sentra 2dr ol faithful. I do have a question of anyone familiar. My cable clutch has been hard to depress for about 3 years now and I'm sure it was never meant to be that hard. No one else want to drive ol faithful due to the clutch. Accepting all ideas and grateful for em too.
Keith

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
Your cable is probably shot. The cable wears through the inner housing of its sheath and starts to dig in, shredding the cable. It gets harder and harder to depress over time until one day it will snap leaving you stranded.

Put a new one in and it wil feel like a new car again. If your planning on keeping it a while, I'd get the OEM one (About $60) otherwise you can probably order one through your local parts store.

It is a very easy part to replace. just need to make sure you adjust the new one so that you have some slack in the cable. :)

Edit: you can always disconnect the cable at the clutch and try moving it manually and see is it still feels tight just to be sure, but i think you'll find it is just to rule out any problems in your tranny/clutch. :thumbup:

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
2x get a new cable... if it is slack already, you might want to look into dissasembling the transmission and regrease all bushings on the pivot and the throw out bearing also... when i did mine i could push it by hand (out of the car) and it would return back by it self with the bearing attached...

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yea, try the cable first. I got one at Azone for $17us. If that dont fix it, it may be time for a new clutch set. My last pressure plate went out rather slowly. Got real stiff then eventually wouldnt shift. Was worse after it got warm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts