Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... Bought my Maxima new last August w/ 12 miles on it. I am in sales and drive for a living so it now has 50k on it. Well at ~48k miles I took it in because the defrost wasn't working. After diagnosis it turns out that the blend doors and actuator in the heater box broke and the entire assembly needs replaced. The entire dash needs to be removed and box replaced equaling a bit over $2000.

Contacted Nissan consumer affairs and they claimed that because I haven't had my oil changed at qualified nissan dealerships they would not warranty it (I get my oil changed on the road in whatever town I'm in because I travel 4-5 days a week). I also wonder why changing your oil at the dealership has any bearing on faulty craftsmanship in the HVAC system.

Anyone else having the defrost/heater box issue with their car? Any advice on speaking with someone at Nissan that cares would help as well. Even the service managers said obviously it was a manufacturing failure because you can't physically misoperate the HVAC system in your car and they can't understand why Nissan won't pay to fix it especially with the amount of cars I will buy in the next few years. I love the car but this really leaves a bad taste in my mouth with Nissan. Not sure I would buy another one in the future which will probably be sooner then later at the rate I drive.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Oil Change - B.S.
Google "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975"
Problem is, you basically have to have receipts for everything or at least some sort of documentation.
This is the sort of thing that dealerships throw at people to make them feel stupid. You do some research, bring this ACT up to them, and likely they'll eat a whole bag of shut the hell up and do the work for you.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,440 Posts
Like said, oil changes have nothing to do with the HVAC system. Only thing I can suggest is that you call the Nissan consumer hotline, 1-800-NISSAN-1, and see if they will do anything for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya, I tried the Nissan consumer hotline... Did not work. I will look into the magnuson moss act but I have my doubts about that. It was actually technically out of warranty, however, shotty craftsmanship and poor consumer affairs is what I am left with unfortunately.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts