Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this heat shield for cone filters, it's made of stainless steel and is universal. This is something i've been looking for to put over my pop charger for some time now. Heat soak in stop and go traffic when it's hot out is what makes your engine feel tired & lazy with a cone filter. I'm thinking this heat shield will help reduce that heat soak effect. I'm gonna e-mail them for price and get one very soon. BTW the company is www.rtec-usa.com. I saw the ad in the NOV. 2002 issue of sport compact car in the off the shelf section... :)

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Looks like it mounts to the collar of the filter. I guess it should work okay. I worry about all the heat it absorbs, which transfers to whatever it's mounted to. It also heats the air around it as well. Hell, give it a try, but I doubt you'll notice a SOTP difference. I'm going to see what they get for their adapters.

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Here is what I think of those things, someone correct me if I am wrong.

They will help reduce the effects of heat radiated at the filter, but your engine compartment is full of hot air. Air will just "pour" around the sheild into the filter. IMHO, not worth it. Get a CAI if you are worried about heat. Even a non-tuned homemade CAI will be better than that sheild. IMHO

·
I command you to SEARCH
2,748 Posts
I'm building a show car, and the more polished stuff under the hood the better.

Like sherb said, it can also be used as a splash guard on a CAI.

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
That heat shield pictured does not change the fact that you are drawing in hot engine compartment air. It will not make a CAI of your WAI.

I would call it nothing more than a shiny splash guard.

·
I command you to SEARCH
2,748 Posts
bahearn said:
That heat shield pictured does not change the fact that you are drawing in hot engine compartment air. It will not make a CAI of your WAI.

I would call it nothing more than a shiny splash guard.
But it sure is pretty isnt it!?!

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
Heather Locklear is pretty. Jessica Alba is pretty. The chrome cover is just shiny. Are you a crow?

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Good point.

Sometimes the "average" looking woman can out "perform" the pretty ones.

Id rather have average looks and good performance over awsome looks anyday.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well guys i still think that a shield of some sort is a good idea for those of us with a WAI. It should help in keeping some hot engine air off my pop charger. I don't think it will do any harm in giving it a try. Thanks for your replies... :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
i just read an issue of hondatuning that did a good comparison of a few CAIs, some WAIs, and a k&n dropin... the dropin did nothing, and they did a heatsheild on the ingen... the gains were pretty small... it does keep some heat out of the filter, like 2* but i think the heatsoak that gets thru the pipe doesnt help at all

·
I command you to SEARCH
2,748 Posts
bahearn said:
Are you a crow?

No, I'm building a show car......:rolleyes:

I've seen Civics win shows with a polished/chromed heat shield and no aftermarket header.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts