Nissan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About the same time the alternator went out, the high beams stopped working. In addition, on the left side, I have no low beam. I am down to one low beam on the right side. I replaced the alternator and now I am working on the lights.

I found some posts that said to clean the contacts for the switch, which I just finished doing. They look good and are making good contact, but there is still no high beams or low beam on the left side. The blue brights indicator does come on in the dash, but no lights.

Is there a relay somewhere that may be causing this? I am thinking I may have more than one issue. I bought a new head lamp. Two were listed as possibilities, a halogen or a sealed beam. I got the sealed beam, but needed the halogen as it turned out. I may need a new bulb on the rights side. Possibly, the high beam is burned out. The left side may have a different issue-not sure. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am thinking that the low voltage, when the alternator was on its way out, messed up my bulbs. I have power to the left front lamp and the ground is good too. The hot toggles between the center pin and an outer pin when operating the brights, so it has got to be the bulb on the left side. The right side probably needs a bulb too in order to restore the high beam.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The bad alternator could have blown out the weaker links in the bulbs themselves. If you look at them, you can usually tell which ones are junk now.

On one car that the alternator went on, it had 4 lights (2 for low beam, 2 for high) and I think 3 of them went at the same time just before the alternator went (I tend to think it was connected).

·
Registered
120 Posts
There are three fuses for the headlights. Two under the hood on the passenger side (15amp) and those are for high beams. Then you have the fuse box in the truck near the steering colomn. check all of them for a shorted out fuse

·
Registered
8 Posts
Use a multimeter to check your voltage. Remove the headlight from the wiring harness, and turn on the headlight switch. Check your voltage and see if it changes or stays constant.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just a random though, have you tried cleaning the actual lamp area? On the pathfinder we have, I had to solder and clean up the right turn signal just to get it to work.

Nissans don't seem to do to well with the lights, on a 94 altima we had, one or two lights in the front always had water in it, on this pathfinder two had water. They are older, they do wear out over time so I could check that also.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The fuses are located #1 under the hood on the passenger side in the fuse box (two 15 amp fuses) and the second is located in the truck open the drivers side door and it will be right near our hood latch

·
Registered
706 Posts
Quit wasting your time with all this!!!....It's your light switch/turn signal stalk assembly! They will make your head spin when they go bad!

·
Registered
112 Posts
ya i tried tat, and i was even plannin to get a relay for the lights to run 24v, but i have some 12v bulbs in there and they arent showing alot, at some times it barely shows on the road, and question on my van on the dash the battery light shows but very very faintly

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got my lights going. I needed 2 new bulbs. Apparently, the bad alternator fried all but the low beam on the right side. I have good bright lights now.

Sometimes dim lights is due to foggy lenses. I had this happen on a car. Had to get a kit to polish the lenses to let the light through. I don't know if Nissan used this type of plastic lense in later years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts