Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Vanilla Ice all the way baby!
Joined
·
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if theres anything aside from xenon bulbs that i could put on my 87 z31 to upgrade the headlights, i don't want to lose the flip-ups though, any ideas or suggestions? i recently fixed my fog lights, and they are brighter then my headlights (hehe), and i want the headlights to be bright to
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,308 Posts
well.......xenon bulbs arnt bright at all, they give the placibo effect of brightness because they are much "whiter" than halogen. well xenon bulbs are halogen with a blue coating. since the blue filters out the yellow light from the halogen (halogen bulbs have much more yellow in them than blue/white/purple) you are cutting the lights output by at least 20%. get x-tra vision or silver stars and they should be very very bright. also i think the z31 has seald beam lights(bulb not replaceable, you need to replace the whole housing) correct? try to find a kit that converts the sealed beam to beable to replace just the bulb AND have a cyrstal clear lens, this should help with the light output as well. other than an HID retro fit thats all you can do.

at $18 a pop you cant go wrong
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,308 Posts
an HID retro fit would endup looking something like this. keep in mind though that that is a halogen projector not an HID (BIG DIFFERANCE!!!!) but i would say it could be done with out disterbing the flip up. but then an HID projector is much longer/deeper than a halogen housing and there may be something behind your lights that would prevent it from moving up or down IE a hose or wires or battery.

but the crystal lenes above and silver stars should be great and quite cheap.
 

·
Vanilla Ice all the way baby!
Joined
·
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think i'll go with the crystals and silverstars, once i'm in florida and dad can't tell me what i can't do to the car, because as of right now he would say no, i still need to figure out the lightdown mod, i cant find the damn plug
 

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
Joined
·
6,079 Posts
1.6pete said:
an HID retro fit would endup looking something like this. keep in mind though that that is a halogen projector not an HID (BIG DIFFERANCE!!!!) but i would say it could be done with out disterbing the flip up. but then an HID projector is much longer/deeper than a halogen housing and there may be something behind your lights that would prevent it from moving up or down IE a hose or wires or battery.

but the crystal lenes above and silver stars should be great and quite cheap.
pete not all projectors are designed the same.. everything you said is correct up to the projector.. you can find small projectors with massive output such as the ECE S4 and TSX those are tiny enough that it wont effect your flip function of the headlights.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,308 Posts
ahh, i didnt know that, thanks for the info liu. :cheers:
 

·
even better the 2nd time
Joined
·
2,719 Posts
SanMarcosZfreak said:
do you know where i might be able to get some clear turn signals?
just make your own out of the clear plastic that goes over the flourescent lights in office buildings (sorry, dont know the technical name)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,308 Posts
Radioaktiv said:
just make your own out of the clear plastic that goes over the flourescent lights in office buildings (sorry, dont know the technical name)
lexan.....
 

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
Joined
·
6,079 Posts
they do make them in japan though it is rare and harder to find.. it like finding a needle in a million haystacks if you understand what i mean.

and say you do get/find them it may ( i stand corrected if im wrong ) be uber expensive new at japan dealers if they carry them or even if you did find someone that can find it in the yards at japan it still be a bit of a bitch to ship such a small peice over here to the states.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,308 Posts
Radioaktiv said:
just make your own out of the clear plastic that goes over the flourescent lights in office buildings (sorry, dont know the technical name)
so i was thinking about this, are your turn signals lenses completly flat? if so this wouldnt be to hard to do. and if you have a friend or a school wood shop with a belt sander it would be 100% easyer. they sell large sheets of the lexan at home depot.
 

·
Vanilla Ice all the way baby!
Joined
·
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LIUSPEED said:
they do make them in japan though it is rare and harder to find.. it like finding a needle in a million haystacks if you understand what i mean.

and say you do get/find them it may ( i stand corrected if im wrong ) be uber expensive new at japan dealers if they carry them or even if you did find someone that can find it in the yards at japan it still be a bit of a bitch to ship such a small peice over here to the states.
are there any other cars with the same size/style signals that they make clears for?
 

·
Vanilla Ice all the way baby!
Joined
·
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the headlamps are a semi-sealed design, so i can change the bulbs out without taking the entire unit out, so i think for now i'm gonna get just the silverstar bulbs
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top