Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched past threads but couldn't find anything very recent on recommendations for some brighter bulbs. If there is one, just post the link so I don't repeat anything!! We came home at dusk the other day and used the headlights for the first time. On low, they were very dim! Somewhat better on high, but not as good as my other Ex, and I cannot recall what I put in there. The lenses actually are quite clear, not very hazy but I plan to buff them up anyway. So, perhaps these are just old and weak (like me, bahaha....). What are you guys using on yours? I know I can buy complete new headlamp assemblies but that would be too costly, and I know new bulbs will not be anything like the lights on new vehicles nowadays. :unsure:

·
Registered
291 Posts
New bulbs will be brighter than old bulbs. I would stay away from Sylvania SilverStar. I played that game for a while but got tired of replacing bulbs every 3 months even if they were covered by warranty.
Most of the high output bulbs will suffer from a shorter lifespan in order to achieve a slight gain in brightness.
There are HID kits available but they can be expensive and you get what you pay for. It's hard to tell which ones are any good.

Reactions: molly

·
Registered
2003 Nissan frontier XE D22
20 Posts
You should use the Nissan dealer bulb. One time is use hi power light bulb from aftermarket and it burn melt the plastic plug at the rear of the bulb. I had to buy the porclin plug socket to replace the OEM ones. I did not use the oem light plug because I was fear it would burn the truck into fire.

·
Registered
488 Posts
i'm using LED bulbs since 2015 or so and no problems at all. Of course the only issue is that LED bulbs give pretty much no heat and your frosty headlight covers will need to be squeegeed on cold winter mornings. Get something decent with the built in ''Canbus'' , that little black box with wire that comes attached with the headlight bulb base. That way it is a ''plug and play'', easy peasy to install and the canbus will prevent any electrical goofiness such as flickering turn signals . The photo i provided is just to illustrate the canbus. I've used CREE led bulbs on my previous honda civic and past 5 years on my Xtrail, work greaT, reliable, good prices off Amazon.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Think I will stick with halogen. get lots of cold weather; don't want to scrape my headlights constantly, haha...:unsure:

Thinking of these:

Or maybe these??

I see you can buy some extra warranty on bulbs on Amazon. May be a good plan.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'd go with the Philips also. You'll get them sooner also from amazon.ca. The others are from the USA.

Reactions: molly

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Otomodo, I don't want the cheapest (or the most expensive, haha) , just as much legal light as I can get for when I have to drive in the dark. Not sure anything rated off-road would be legal for a vehicle? This time of year is when it starts to get bad for wildlife crossing the highway, hence my concern!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts