Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to I install Hotshot header last night. Got everything apart and could not get the damn header nuts off the studs. 3 of the 5 are mushed now. I tried all kinds of different sockets and wrenches. Metric, Standard, six point, multi point, nothing worked. I was so pissed, it was midnight and I had to work the next day, so I had to put everthing back together and go to bed pissed off and tired and very dissapointed. I could pay some exhuast shop to do it but that defeats the point of saving money. What size socket is the right one and what size drive, extension, etc. should i use?

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
well, for one thing, you should never use standard wrenches on metric hardware!

iirc, the nuts are 14mm. You know this right? I mean....you tried different sizes till you found the right size, correct? Or did you just use whatever seemed to work?

You probably have to get a bolt out kit from Sears or home depot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what's iirc? Well if I knew that it was a 14mm socket for sure I wouldn't be here man, that's why i'm askin. It was the first socket I used. Short and deep, both just mushed the edges of the nuts when i pushed. And I know most(but not all) jap crap is metric, but thanks for asking. Since your the expert, what size drive did you use and did you do it youself without mushin the edges of the nuts and did you use the same ones to put the new header on. I sprayed the studs with PB Blaster and waited. What if I buy the stud torx tool and try to remove the studs with the nuts? will that work?

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
it's 14mm. it shouldn't matter between 6 and 12 point, if you're turning it the correct direction it will loosen and not mush.

if you've completely stripped the nuts, you need a stripped bolt remover.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
righty tighty, lefty loosey. I know. I'm not a moron and I ain't lying man. I pushed to the left and nothing was moving except the cheap ass soft nut edges on the nuts which are now totally [email protected] What's a nut removal kit gonna do if the damn nut won't move. F8c& it! I'm gonna get a pro to loosen them tommorrow and get some more nuts from a hardware store.

·
LUCKY SLIDES 2 2/25/06
504 Posts
chimmike said:
it's 14mm. it shouldn't matter between 6 and 12 point, if you're turning it the correct direction it will loosen and not mush.

if you've completely stripped the nuts, you need a stripped bolt remover.
remember japs are notorious for locktite lol course i doubt they would put it on a header nut but ya never know

Don

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
Some of our models have bolts that take quite a while to remove. Their simply caked on their and you are going to have to use the kit reccomended. Also remember to use a new gasket.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all your comments peeps!

Thank you PSCH91!!!! You are the only one here with helpful suggestions. The threads were exactly what I needed. Others should follow.

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
roddyg73 said:
Thank you PSCH91!!!! You are the only one here with helpful suggestions. The threads were exactly what I needed. Others should follow.
:thumbup: Good luck to you in the future. And enjoy that header. I will be installing my megan sometime next week hopefully.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't know if you have completed this yet, or even tried the install again, but i had the same problem for one of the bolts. I just sprayed a lot of WD40 on it, and let it sit for a while, went back at it, the bolt didn't want to move. More WD40, and ten minutes later, it was simple, no struggling. I am only posting cause nobody suggested the WD40.

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
05babygtr said:
I don't know if you have completed this yet, or even tried the install again, but i had the same problem for one of the bolts. I just sprayed a lot of WD40 on it, and let it sit for a while, went back at it, the bolt didn't want to move. More WD40, and ten minutes later, it was simple, no struggling. I am only posting cause nobody suggested the WD40.
He said he put PB blaster on there, which does the same job. Good advice though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
True, i must have read over that part. My bad. Just a question, for roddyg73, did you move your alternator at all? I know it has nothing to do with the bolts, but i am just curious to see how other people handled that one that is behind the alternator.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally!

Finally got it all done with the bolt-out kit and some new nuts,lock washers,and regular washers. Those f*&^%$#@ nuts all stripped out on the header and barely came off with the bolt-out kit using two different sizes. Plus I did my BSR kit after I was done all in the same day. That BSR was absoultely the worst experience I've ever had with aftermarket parts. Holy Crap! What a f*&^%$ nightmare that was. I spent a ton on tools at sears to make sure I had every last tool needed and then some. Magic Plastic is way too tempting. I followed the thread that was posted in here to a tee and all went smooth. I also installed the SIM for the second O2 sensor from casper electronics. No CEL! Alot of splicing though, but I took my time and did it right. All i'm waiting for now is my eibachs to show up and get paid this week so i can order my catback magnaflow. yep yep, can't wait. HH way to raspy with stock catback exhaust. One thing I dont like though is the car vibrates bad. I didnt think it would be that noticeable. oh well, can't reverse a BSR. Oh and for some reason at idle I hear a light knocking noise every 30 seconds or so and then it goes away for 30 seconds and does it again. ???

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes removed alternator and altenator bracket completely

i removed the coolant tank and the alt. and alt. brkt. all of it. 1/2 breaker bar was a blessing. along with that bolt-out kit from sears for the header bolts. Plus the new bolts i got at autozone were way stronger and better than nissan's bolts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts