Nissan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helo my name is joe live in jax Fl. I have a 97 sentra that blew out a spark plug so i removed the head and had it re worked. now when I went to install the head, the head gasket on 3 of the cylinders does not match the water jacket holes. so I went to get another one and it is the same. Do you need to cut out the water jacket holes, or is the gasket correct and some of the holes get covered?

·
woo..im 25 dollars poorer
473 Posts
welcome joe, check out the section for ur car for more info on that...
again, welcome to the site.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Joe McCleary said:
Helo my name is joe live in jax Fl. I have a 97 sentra that blew out a spark plug so i removed the head and had it re worked. now when I went to install the head, the head gasket on 3 of the cylinders does not match the water jacket holes. so I went to get another one and it is the same. Do you need to cut out the water jacket holes, or is the gasket correct and some of the holes get covered?
hey joe
I just replaced my head gasket and lest then 1/2 the water holes matched up to the block.
But all the bolt holes matched and it matched the old gasket. :fluffy:

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
Can't say I have much to add to this except that when I did mine, the water holes also didn't line up. I had the choice of ordering 2 different head gaskets, one for an earlier model (before 6/96 IIRC) and one for a later. I think I ordered the later model gasket.

When I saw they didn't line up, I was a bit worried the coolant might leak through. Never had a problem though.

Edit: this was on a GA16DE BTW

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Joe McCleary said:
Did you order an OEM head gasket?

·
Destroyer of Engines
561 Posts
Joe McCleary said:
The holes on the head gasket are only as big as the coolant passages on one cylinder (#1 I think) the rest of the holes are much smaller than the coolant passages. I'm not sure why that is, possibly to get the coolant to flow a certain way, but it is normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts