Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I own a Xtrail 2/2/2002 with 78.000 klm.Recently they told me that i loose all the water from the tank and from radiator.They told me that the gasket head burned and this is the reason for missing water.

Has anyone heard about that ?And ok i understands that if the head gasket is burned ok i miss water,but why the gasket was burned?

Thanks

andrews :thumbdwn:

· Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
8,652 Posts
Hi Andrews.

Welcome to the forum.

Who is this "They" that told you all of this?

If it was a dealer or a repair shop, did they do a compression test on all the cylinders to determine that the motor had a blown head gasket? Maybe there's a coolant leak elsewhere.

-----------------------------
George

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rogoman said:
Hi Andrews.

Welcome to the forum.

Who is this "They" that told you all of this?

If it was a dealer or a repair shop, did they do a compression test on all the cylinders to determine that the motor had a blown head gasket? Maybe there's a coolant leak elsewhere.

-----------------------------
George
Says they i mean Nissan official offices in Greece.They told me that they did compression test one month before and there was no problem.In any case they told me that will change the gasket without cost but i am worring about the resaults and the future problems that may occur.

Thanks

Andrews

· Nissan/Mazda Gumshoe
1,069 Posts
andrews said:
Says they i mean Nissan official offices in Greece.They told me that they did compression test one month before and there was no problem.In any case they told me that will change the gasket without cost but i am worring about the resaults and the future problems that may occur.

Thanks

Andrews
if they are going to change it without u having to pay for it, then i wouldnt worry about it. did your truck overheat at anytime. something u might want to check into before they slap on another head gasket. :thumbup:

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AVERAGE said:
if they are going to change it without u having to pay for it, then i wouldnt worry about it. did your truck overheat at anytime. something u might want to check into before they slap on another head gasket. :thumbup:
Hi,

No the truck never overheat !

· Registered
5 Posts
Hi! Same problem here, also from greece!
They told me that the coolant goes into the second cylinder! Amazingly the mechanic reached this result after only 5 minutes! He then told me that there has been a recall and a lot of engines were replaced! I get a lot of overheating and the vendilator is working overtime!
I got the car by leasing and they havent told me anything about recalling! Unfortunatelly the leasing ended 2 months ago! I am trying to find out whether my car should have been recalled but i find nothing!
Please advise!
Thanks in advance!

Karalis D.

· Proud 2004 X-Trail Owner
866 Posts
Once at Dealership, I knew about a QR25'ed X-Trail, with a blowed gasket, I got my Palm camera & took a gasket pic.

They (dealership guys) told me, it's like a fuse... way much better it damages than the whole engine

· Fully Bolted + Juiced!
389 Posts
karalisd said:
spoke to dealer again today and he said that they will probably change the engine free of charge even without guarantee! The engine has cracked and replacing the gasket wont do anything!
Make sure he not only changes the engine block but also the head, as it most certainly warped out of shape. Double check the engine block number once you get back your truck so you can prove that your engine was indeed changed and not overhauled.

· Registered
2 Posts
same problem in greece with my x trail

HELLO I OWN AN X TRAIL SINCE 30/7/02 BOUGHT IN GREECE BRAND NEW. TODAY IT HAS 68.000 KM.
HERE MY STORY COMES.
SIX MONTHS AGO TEMPERATURE INDICATOR WENT TO RED AREA.
I TOOK IT IN MY NEIGHBOURHOOD AUTHORISED SERVICE CENTRE AND THEY TOLD ME THAT THE TANK AND THE RADIATOR WAS OUT OF WATER. I ASKED THEM WHY THIS HAPPENED AND I DINT TAKE A CLEAR ANSWER. LATER ON THEY TOLD ME THAT IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH A RECALL FOR THE CATALYZEITOR MADE BY NISSAN AT 2004 AND IT WAS NOT FIXED AT MY CAR. AT LAST THEY FIXED IT FREE OF CHARGE.
BUT THIS WAS UNFORTUNATELY JUST THE START OF MY ADVENTURE.
WHEN THE CAR CAME BACK TO ME IT WAS OK WITH THE WATER BUT STARTS MAKING A STRANGE METAL SOUND, HEARD FROM THE FRONT WHEELS, I WENT BACK TO THE SERVICE CENTRE AND THEY TOLD ME THAT IF IT WAS WASHED IT WOULD BE OK. THIS SOUND NEVER GONE SINCE THEN BUT I DID NOT GAVE SO MUCH ATTENTION SINCE I THOUGHT IT WAS FROM THE BRAKES.
AND HERE IT COMES THE LAST PART. FIVE DAYS AGO MY X TRAIL LOST AGAIN ALL ITS COOLANT AND AS USUAL I TOOK IT TO SERVICE CENTRE. THE NEWS WAS MORE THAN DISAPPOINTING “CHANGE ENGINE” WAS THE VERDICT AT MY OWN COST OF 10.000 €. I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT AND SO I HAVE CALLED THE NISSANS CUSTOMER SERVICE CENTRE AUTHORISED DEALER FOR GREECE (NIK. I. THEOCHARAKIS AE). AFTER THEY ARE BRIEFING FROM THE MY SERVICE CENTRE TOLD ME THAT IF I FEEL MORE COMFORTABLE I COULD TOOK MY CAR TO THE CENTRAL SERVICE CENTRE. I TOOK THE CHANGE AND WENT THERE. A DAY AFTER THEY SAID TO ME THAT I COULD AVOID CHANGING ENGINE AND JUST CHANGE HEAD GASKET AND SPRINGS AT MY OWN COST AGAIN OF 3.000€.AT MY QUESTIONS ABOUT WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE ENGINE THEIR ANSWER WAS THAT IS SOMETHING IT HAPPENS AND IS COMMON. I LEFT MY CAR THERE AND GOT BACK HOME VERY SAD AND ANGRY AND MOST OF ALL WITH MY SELF WITCH I TRUSTED NISSAN FIVE YEARS AGO BUYING A NEW FAMILY CAR FOR 34.000 € AND NOW I HAVE NOTHING. PLEASE IF IT IS POSSIBLE SENT ME THE E-MAILS OF THOSE TWO OTHER MEMBERS WITCH HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH ME, MAYBE A CONTACT WITH THEM IT WILL BE VERY HELPFUL.
THANKS A LOT.

· Registered
5 Posts
HELLO I OWN AN X TRAIL SINCE 30/7/02 BOUGHT IN GREECE BRAND NEW. TODAY IT HAS 68.000 KM.
HERE MY STORY COMES.
SIX MONTHS AGO TEMPERATURE INDICATOR WENT TO RED AREA.
I TOOK IT IN MY NEIGHBOURHOOD AUTHORISED SERVICE CENTRE AND THEY TOLD ME THAT THE TANK AND THE RADIATOR WAS OUT OF WATER. I ASKED THEM WHY THIS HAPPENED AND I DINT TAKE A CLEAR ANSWER. LATER ON THEY TOLD ME THAT IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH A RECALL FOR THE CATALYZEITOR MADE BY NISSAN AT 2004 AND IT WAS NOT FIXED AT MY CAR. AT LAST THEY FIXED IT FREE OF CHARGE.
BUT THIS WAS UNFORTUNATELY JUST THE START OF MY ADVENTURE.
WHEN THE CAR CAME BACK TO ME IT WAS OK WITH THE WATER BUT STARTS MAKING A STRANGE METAL SOUND, HEARD FROM THE FRONT WHEELS, I WENT BACK TO THE SERVICE CENTRE AND THEY TOLD ME THAT IF IT WAS WASHED IT WOULD BE OK. THIS SOUND NEVER GONE SINCE THEN BUT I DID NOT GAVE SO MUCH ATTENTION SINCE I THOUGHT IT WAS FROM THE BRAKES.
AND HERE IT COMES THE LAST PART. FIVE DAYS AGO MY X TRAIL LOST AGAIN ALL ITS COOLANT AND AS USUAL I TOOK IT TO SERVICE CENTRE. THE NEWS WAS MORE THAN DISAPPOINTING “CHANGE ENGINE” WAS THE VERDICT AT MY OWN COST OF 10.000 €. I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT AND SO I HAVE CALLED THE NISSANS CUSTOMER SERVICE CENTRE AUTHORISED DEALER FOR GREECE (NIK. I. THEOCHARAKIS AE). AFTER THEY ARE BRIEFING FROM THE MY SERVICE CENTRE TOLD ME THAT IF I FEEL MORE COMFORTABLE I COULD TOOK MY CAR TO THE CENTRAL SERVICE CENTRE. I TOOK THE CHANGE AND WENT THERE. A DAY AFTER THEY SAID TO ME THAT I COULD AVOID CHANGING ENGINE AND JUST CHANGE HEAD GASKET AND SPRINGS AT MY OWN COST AGAIN OF 3.000€.AT MY QUESTIONS ABOUT WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE ENGINE THEIR ANSWER WAS THAT IS SOMETHING IT HAPPENS AND IS COMMON. I LEFT MY CAR THERE AND GOT BACK HOME VERY SAD AND ANGRY AND MOST OF ALL WITH MY SELF WITCH I TRUSTED NISSAN FIVE YEARS AGO BUYING A NEW FAMILY CAR FOR 34.000 € AND NOW I HAVE NOTHING. PLEASE IF IT IS POSSIBLE SENT ME THE E-MAILS OF THOSE TWO OTHER MEMBERS WITCH HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH ME, MAYBE A CONTACT WITH THEM IT WILL BE VERY HELPFUL.
THANKS A LOT.
Something is going on with the 2002 2.0 Petrol engine in the X-Trails in Greece. I own one and a couple of days ago I went to the dealership to look at the new X-Trail. When we discussed the trade in of the old X-Trail, the sales person said it is a good idea, because the early 2.0 petrol engines loose the coolant due to a material defect which causes blown head gaskets! This was an interesting statement which I can not dismiss as an effort to sell me a new car because a week earlier while doing my 75000 km service the service guy told me to be careful of overheating because in my type of engine and year of production they tend to lose the coolant through the gasket and into the 2nd cylinder!
Now I read the prvious messages and I am concerned! Why would a properly maintained engine from a reliable(?) manufacturer like Nissan have such a defect? And why is this not stated anywhere else? I know our Australian friends also use this engine! Any feedback would be appreciated. By the way I have not had any problem with my SUV so far.

· XTRAIL-HOLIC
2,232 Posts
We don't have the 2.0 ltre engine in Australia, we only have the 2.5LT, but we did have cases of blown head gasket that was caused by radiator blockage due to casting sand build-up. This was mainly caused by using the incorrect type of engine coolant, as Nissan's radiators are very sensitive in this regard. In most cases the situation of a blown head gasket could have been avoided had the owners stopped driving the car as soon as they notice the temp indicator go off the scale, but in most cases, driver's continued to drive the car to get home and the damage caused was pretty bad and VERY costly.

· Registered
2 Posts
is not hapening the same in greece it has something to do with the catalyst and the recall was made from nissan for it. Maybe here in greece the authorized service offices didnt give so mutch attention or they do not know how to fix it. As a result most of 2002-2003 x trails loose they coolant into the engine cylinders in about 70.000 km of their life and the engine cracks.
I think is also a very big ethical matter for NISSAN Europe becouse they know is something rong with that engine and they don't care for their customers at least in Greece

· XTRAIL-HOLIC
2,232 Posts
The catalytic converter breakage (or flaking to be exact) will not only cause head gasket problem, as this will be the last of your worries, it will cause great damage to the cylinder walls themselves, so coolant leaks would only be one aspect of this problem, but a damaged engine piston walls is a completely new ball game that in most cases would lead to full engine replacement due to loss of pressure....and obviously power!

There was a recall here in Australia for catalytic converter breakage, but the percentage of that happening was very low. The cat converter is made with a ceramic core and this ceramic flakes if exposed to high temps and these flakes gets sucked into the engine due to back pressure when you turn off the car.

Solution: Get rid of the factory manifold/headers that houses this poor quality cat. converter and get a stand-alone stainless steel high flow cat. converter instead. More power and a much safer option if you plan to keep the car for long!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.