Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So financial issues have reared their ugly heads so I can't do a swap yet. :rolleyes: Looks like I'll have to fix the head gasket on the KA and do something more later. The Chiltons book says to remove the AIV pipe. What is that? Also, it says to set the No.1 Piston at TDC on compression stroke. How do I do that? I also might do some little things to my engine like headers and Cold Air Intake. Does the stock fuel pump get the maximum performance out of the stock engine? Would aftermarket fuel injectors help any? I'm new to all this so please bear with me and my questions.

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
240newbie said:
One more thing. What do platnium spark plugs do? Would they damage my engine?
Platinum spark plugs conduct electricity better, so the spark is stronger. This won't hurt your engine. Iridium is a better conductor, but is probably not worth the money for stock ignition systems. The AIV is a charcoal-based emissions control device that takes intake air and passes through a vacuum activated valve and a black box full of charcoal, and from there dumps the air into the exhaust to neutralize hazardous emissions. This was needed to make the 240SX legal for the US market. The AIV is a black box on the driver's side fender well. If you trace the hose from the intake box, it leads to the AIV box, down through a valve, and into the exhaust line. Disconnecting this is a simple as removing the hose from the intake box. Be careful with the AIV hose, as they break easily. Setting the #1 cylinder on TDC means adjusting the crank so that #1 cylinder is in its topmost position in the compression stroke. However, if you haven't removed the AIV yet, you probably aren't that far yet. Post again when you have removed the head from the engine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that help I appreaciate it. I actually haven't started anything yet, I was just looking ahead at the directions and wondering about some things. I'm thinking I'll put on headers. I was looking at OBX Racing headers. Does anyone have these or what do you recommened? Are platnium spark plugs worth it? Anyone know what kind of gain they give? So until I get more funds my plans are headers, Injen Short Ram Intake, an underdrive pulley, and platnium spark plugs. I'll have to figure out how to get a picture on here so you all can see it. Suggestions would be great, everything is currently stock.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Personally man, I wouldn't even bother on spending that kinda cash on stuff that isn't going to do much. Save it up for a swap or internal rebuild or something. Turboing this car is the only way it seems to get some serious numbers. I use the NGK G-power (the platinum tip). Only reason I used this is that the tip is a point vs a flat circle. Burns a little bit better too. Iridium, unless you have an upgraded ignition system, don't even bother, you won't see any gains. Correct me if I'm wrong but ignition is sort of the iceing on the cake, rather than big gains. More effienct as well. Only suggestion I can give you is that if your interested in creating some power for this car 250hp +, then upgrade your suspension and brakes and like I'm doing, get an RS-R Exmag exhaust catback system. This is interchangable with the KA and SR and I believe the RB. Its a lot more fun to drive to when you can handle better and have more control. I don't have anything worthwhile mentioning to the engine but my suspension feels better with some upgrades. Good luck and hope to hear your progress.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts