Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title im curious about head bolt washers. Working on a sentra with the 1.8 that the head gasket let go on. Normally I work on LS engines and rotaries but im trying to help a buddy out. I dont know this engine at all as far as the fine details. The maintenance is apparently not well kept up with as up top had a good bit of crud on and around the bolts. I pulled the bolts pulled the head and didnt notice until I started cleaning up and prepping to machine it that there were washers under the bolt heads. They stayed on the head in the gunk.

Well i guess when moving around I lost a few since I didnt know they were there. The new head bolts do not come with washers so I assume this is not a factory thing and something someone did last time the head was off since its been off before from the blobs of RTV everywhere. So before I slap this little micro engine back together are washers supposed to be under the bolts? If so ill go find some.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,440 Posts
According to the FSM, the head bolts use washers. You can use a flat METRIC washer found in most hardware stores.
I'd rather just get the correct washers from Nissan; they're only 50-cents a piece and you know they are the correct thickness and hardness. The other thing is that a generic washer with that size hole may be too large on the outside to fit in the recess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts