Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek: I'm having problems with my 93 hardbody 5sp . . .
Was driving and it started to get hard to put into gear. came to a stop and tried to put it into first and it grinded like I didnt have the clutch pushed in but I did.
So I checked the master cylinder reservoir and noticed it was empty... put fluid in and bled the system. Still had problems so I pulled aside the boot on the slave cylinder and noticed fluid in it so I've replaced the slave cylinder and it seems to have helped somewhat...
My dilema is that when I start the truck, If I push the clutch all the way in its hard to go into first gear... I have to let off it a little and then it slips in. also noticed that if Im at a stop and I push the clutch all the way in it seems to creep forward as if in letting off the clutch... but if I release it a little it stops. I cant figure it out. I've looked at the master cylinder and its not leaking so did I not bleed it properly or something??? any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a 5 sp . when I bought it the first thing I did was change the oil and trany fluid... Had to use a vampire pump to put the gear oil into the trany and did so until it started coming out of the hole I was pumping it into. There isnt a way to see if its low other than unscrew the bolt and stick my finger into it to check. Even so, I never noticed any leaks of that sort. would that cause that sort of problem in a 5 sp? I know for sure it would in an automatic becuase they use transmission fluid, but my trany requires gear oil. :confused:

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
if the reservoir was empty, where is the leak? might be having issues due to not enough pressure in the system... did you bench bleed the master before you installed it? might still have air in the system also

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Think the leak was coming from the slave cylinder... and I've replaced that. maybe I didnt bleed the sytem fully??? I had to do it by myself, using something to hold the clutch pressed in while climbing under the truck, loosening the bleed nipple, tightening it back and repeating over and over again bout 10 or 11 times. pretty tedious I'll tell you. but besides that I read online that your not supposed to pump the clutch cuz it puts more air molecules into the system making the problem worse so I just pushed the clutch in once and held it down each time. maybe somethings just wrong with the clutch??? maybe I should just get a new one. dunno just was hoping it'd be something simple cuz putting a new clutch into a 4x4 is a real pain in the butt. dont know from experience but know people who have.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Seeing as how you did bleed it some, try gravity bleeding it now. Start with the damper, it's on the firewall above the slave. Fill the master up, and take the cap off.Put a tube on the bleeder, and open it, and let it drip into something for about 5-10 minutes, or until you get a steady drip. The tighten the bleeder, and do the same thing to the slave. make sure the master doesn't go dry, keep adding as needed. This may be all you need, now.
Good Luck

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

Well just an update. . . . .

Originally I thought my problems were due to my hydraulic system not being bled properly after replacing my slave cylinder.

After getting tired of bleeding and bleeding I paid a guy 300 bucks to change out my clutch for me since I havent got the necessary tools or experience in that area. . . Pretty good deal too I'd say since everywhere I called to get estimates wanted around 650 bucks. (cuz its a 4x4)

So just letting everyone know that it was indeed the clutch that was causing the problem. The one that came out had broken springs and such and the throw out bearing was shot to hell. I still dont understand why it still grabbed good though. most clutches begin to slip when they need replacing right??? My didnt slip.

Well problem solved. . . Clutch shifts good as new and have no more problems. Also wanted to say thanks to everyone for trying to help. All the old posts and new ones in this forum shed alot of light and offer alot of suggestions people otherwise might not think of. These forums are great and can save someone from making the mistake of spending big money to replace something that doesnt need to be and isnt the problem to begin with.
:woowoo::idhitit: Love my truck!!!

Well I'll see you guys around on here I'm sure.

Take care

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts