Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was flipping through ebay about two weeks ago and ran across something that claimed to add 10-15 hp. It was only about $30 shipped so I got it out of curiousity. I finally opened it last night and it is a little black box with two wires. The instructions say to find the MAF wires and basically splice this little device into the 5 volt wire. Has anyone put one of these on their car? What does it actually do? The description in the ebay ad claimed to do the same thing that a JET module does. I had one of those on an Impala and it made a noticeable difference. If anyone has put this on their car please comment on whether it made a difference and also which wire is 5 volts? I don't want to go unnecessarily cutting into any wiring. Thanks for the help.

:cheers:

·
Registered
86 Posts
if its what i think it is, it is like a 3-5$ resistor that you can get at like radioshack

and im pretty sure its not worth it.

look at his other auctions, if he has the same thing for 15 other cars, then its probably not worth it.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
maybe you could have spent about 3mins reading the forum or searching here, where we've discussed how big a rip off these things are.

congrats, you just gave away $30.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
Dont install it. You will damage your car. What you bouht is prettymuch a rip off of the Tornado, which doesnt work either.

·
Registered
86 Posts
a ripoff of a ripoff? lol

hey, i saw that tornado commercial, that asian man looked QUITE knoledgable.

didn't you see him do the experiment with the two 2 litre bottles and the water?

it water can do it, im sure air can.

and im done being sarcastic.

but for real, is the thing he is talking about a little resistor? or what.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
its suppost to alter the signals coming from the maf to give you better HP but i cant see how that would work because the maf is there to fine tune everything to amount of air that is flowing in. (the tornado would work if it were somehow placed directly above the intake cams, since the air still needs to go through the throttle body and intake plenum the spiraling effect and vanished so the placement is the problem not the theory)

·
I miss good ol' OT
1,716 Posts
NickZac said:
Dont install it. You will damage your car. What you bouht is prettymuch a rip off of the Tornado, which doesnt work either.

Touching the MAF is similar to prodding a hungry, sleeping lion with your pinky finger. Just asking for problems.

·
Registered
154 Posts
1.6pete said:
the tornado would work if it were somehow placed directly above the intake cams, since the air still needs to go through the throttle body and intake plenum the spiraling effect and vanished so the placement is the problem not the theory
That's probably the best reason I've heard so far as to why the tornados don't work. :thumbup:

·
I am Popo Bawa
220 Posts
I've got a ton of stuff I'd love to sell for $30. Send me $300, and I'll send you a big box of 10 things you may or may not know the purpose of.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
acriml01 said:
That's probably the best reason I've heard so far as to why the tornados don't work. :thumbup:
*shifty eyes* i stole it from someone else........and out it in my own words (i forget what thread but it was awile ago)

·
Registered
303 Posts
chimmike said:
maybe you could have spent about 3mins reading the forum or searching here, where we've discussed how big a rip off these things are.

congrats, you just gave away $30.
Chimmike, why don't you just have a auto reply for every new thred that calls everyone a dumb ass for even tring to ask a question. Most of your post are rude, don't add anything much if anything, and you just give off bad vibes to the whole forums. Don't you have anything better to do?

To the original question, you don't want to add cheap electronics off of ebay. If you want to add anything to your car, read a lot about it and understand exacly what you will get from it and more importantly, what it does and why. If you don't know what a part does, don't install it. Even if a race shop tells you it works. If you don't understand it, then you are tunning blind. It can truly take years to fully understand and learn what works and doesn't work. Rushing and buying parts is not the way to do it. I've seen so many people buy hundreds if not thousands of dollars in parts and installed them all at once and then can't figure out how to tune a car because they are tring to chase down a problem when it could be one of five mods. Add one thing to your car at a time and make sure everything is running right before you try and add another. Every now and then, you half to add more then one part at a time because some parts work togeather.

·
t3h r0XX0r!!
679 Posts
caveman said:
Chimmike, why don't you just have a auto reply for every new thred that calls everyone a dumb ass for even tring to ask a question. Most of your post are rude, don't add anything much if anything, and you just give off bad vibes to the whole forums. Don't you have anything better to do?
woo-hoo! go caveman!

·
t3h r0XX0r!!
679 Posts
1.6pete said:
its suppost to alter the signals coming from the maf to give you better HP but i cant see how that would work because the maf is there to fine tune everything to amount of air that is flowing in.
the original concept behind it was to "trick" the engine into thinking that there is more air entering the engine than there is. this would, in theory, cause the injectors to inject more fuel and increase power on engines that burn lean (most modern engines burn slightly lean for emissions purposes). the problem with this is pretty simple. the O2 sensor is going to detect the change in exhaust gas oxygen, and back off on the fuel. immediately. so you gain nothing.

·
t3h r0XX0r!!
679 Posts
bII said:
As a general rule of thumb, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

And there's the old hot rod axiom: To go fast it takes cubic inches and sqaure dollars (how that fits with forced induction I don't know, but you get the point).
aren't dollars more rectangular than square? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
29 Posts
With all respect

I'm not saying that the tornado works, or does not work. I actually did a project on this in my physics class at the college. You have to love all the toys they give you to play with in college.

Anyway the basis on the tornado is air movement to change hotspots basically. The air as it twirls around mixes with the gas in the chamber to give it a dispersed fire, as opposed to just firing in a more concentrated spot in the cylinder.

You are correct in your theory that yes, the air sitll has further to travel, and that if they were on the inside of say the manifold, that a person could see how it would work.

If you recall on the water model how the water swirls on the top and as it comes out the bottom. That is how it works going through the engine. The air is not as concentrated or anything in its swirling, and is not nearly as moving as it is when it originally comes in. The point basically is that the air is still slightly twirling around as it enters the cylinder which negates any actual HP gain that they state, and does not really help your gas as much as they say either.

It does work, in both physics and in reality. The only problem is your not going to get what they say you will. Not even close. Your lucky to get an extra 1-2 HP at best and maybe an extra MPG.

Your engine is still sucking in air as it goes which helps preserve the swirl on the air, but to truly see the difference and notice it, you would want a tornado in your intake, and at the point of your intake manifold that enters your engine. Then you could possibly make the claims they do.

·