Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
im2kwik4u
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have some problems putting the car into first gear sometimes whenever im at a stop sign or red light, sometimes i have to put in second and then into 1st for it to go in properly. Sometimes it goes in just fine and sometimes it doesnt. I replaced my clutch for a new OEM one about 1 year ago because my fork lever broke. Any of u know wat might be causing the problem??
thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
Have you tried adjusting your clutch cable? Or checking the fluid level in the tranny. I would start there before thinking that the clutch or tranny is going bad. Hopefully that's all it is. If not, then I don't know. I'm not that good with transmissions. Just a suggestion. Good luck with it.

·
Boxed Fox
1,313 Posts
im2kwik4u said:
i have some problems putting the car into first gear sometimes whenever im at a stop sign or red light, sometimes i have to put in second and then into 1st for it to go in properly. Sometimes it goes in just fine and sometimes it doesnt. I replaced my clutch for a new OEM one about 1 year ago because my fork lever broke. Any of u know wat might be causing the problem??
thanks
Does that problem go away if you blip your throttle before putting it into 1st (rev about 500rpm with the clutch disengaged, then put the shift lever into the 1st gear gate)?

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
im2kwik4u said:
thanks
What fluid did you put in? I just learned this the hard way, but luckily caught it in time. The shop that did my clutch must have put the wrong type of fluid in since the car shifted rough... meaning it was difficult to get into gear. I replaced the fluid and it shifts like it should now. Make sure you use the right weight and GL-4 fluid.

·
Registered
272 Posts
tranny fluid for a stick is a real pain to put in ... i have been REALLY putting mine off and I gotta get it done soon ... no motivation since its cold out now :loser: I think from word of mouth u gotta get under the car , its a bolt further back than the oil bolt ... drain it ... then I get lost here every time ... I think u pull the speedo pin and pour it in there ... no clue where that is tho

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
I've been putting my gear oil off for some time as well. I plan to change it when I change my axles.

I don't think it's any secret that Sentras have shitty transmissions. I'm sure everyone here with a M/T has experienced that it's almost impossible to get into reverse w/o either rolling or by putting it into a different gear before you put it into reverse. We have crappy synchros, we have gear pop-outs. I can already feel my 5th gear moving ever so slightly when I accelerate, I'm sure this will be the first problem I'll experience w/ my tranny.

Anyway, change your gear oil and it should help you. I would say it may have something to do with your clutch not fully disengaging, but that's usually accompanied by grinding.

·
nissan??? whats that
280 Posts
Ninety-Nine SE-L said:
I don't think it's any secret that Sentras have shitty transmissions. I'm sure everyone here with a M/T has experienced that it's almost impossible to get into reverse w/o either rolling or by putting it into a different gear before you put it into reverse. We have crappy synchros, we have gear pop-outs. I can already feel my 5th gear moving ever so slightly when I accelerate, I'm sure this will be the first problem I'll experience w/ my tranny.
Most defenately true. my reverse sucks ass and i feel the same problem with my 5th gear. :(

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ninety-Nine SE-L said:
I can already feel my 5th gear moving ever so slightly when I accelerate, I'm sure this will be the first problem I'll experience w/ my tranny.
wut do u mean by moving ? like when u let off the gas ? cause my 4th is moving up and down when I pull off the gas a little ...

·
Boxed Fox
1,313 Posts
Ninety-Nine SE-L said:
yea, when I step on the gas, the shifter moves about 1/4-1/2" back towards the neutral position, when I let off the gas, it moves back toward the 5th gear location. It stays in gear, but it's my guess that eventually, it will pop out by itself. Some Redline MT-90 should help a bit.
You do realize that the shifter is directly connected to the transmission and engine, and will therefore exhibit movement when you hit the gas/brake. This is caused by the movement of the engine/transmission assembly relative to the rest of the car during acceleration (which can be mitigated by installing new/stiffer front and rear engine mounts).

James said:
1st/reverse have no synchro so that is why its hard to get it in without hitting the clutch twice or putting it in another gear. change your fluid, it may help a bit.
All of the stock manual transmissions that came with the SR20DE and GA16DE have 1st gear synchros...

·
Boxed Fox
1,313 Posts
Ninety-Nine SE-L said:
As for 5th gear movement. The other gears don't do that, only 5th, I know there is some movement, but there can't possibly be that much.
Ok. I'm just making sure, cause that scared the hell out of me when it started happening to the odd gears in my car. Turned out my front mount (the one with the two rubber things in the plastic bracket) had collapsed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts