Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I am sure I am not the only one who gets nervous during a storm with that YUGE moonroof! Southern Alberta got walloped last weekend and we watched in horror as golf ball sized hail hit our old Exxie...thankfully, it was not really hardened hail so no damage. In fact, the guy that sold us our new one yesterday said normally they park it in the garage, but it had been outside on the day the massive storms came in, but they just missed it! We have no usable garage. I have now been looking online to see what folks are doing, and seeing suggestions from yoga mats to fancy car covers.

Anyone out there with inexpensive but effective solutions? I bet some of the stormchasers have come up with ideas! As it is just mid-June, I am sure we ill see more of this nasty weather this summer. :oops:

·
Registered
473 Posts
I watched the calgary News and i do not think there is really anything to protect your vehicle in a severe hail storm if park outside and exposed. That was Not normal hail. Only thing i can suggest ( but doubt you would do this unless you knew for sure a big hailstorm was impending) is to cut up a bunch of big cardboard boxes, lay big rectangular flat sheets of cardboard all over your roof, glass, even double up sheets, tape them in place if you have to...then drape your entire Xtrail in a good thick tarp....securing it everyway possible so the wind does not blow it off. Maybe that might limit the damage ? The yoga mats a good idea but i think cardboard be cheaper /free. Or if you can go to a thrift shop/ value village, look for pieces of carpet, yoga mats , bath mats. Main idea is to tape them to the vehicle and and then secure a good thick tarp over your vehicle. If you worried about the tape glue residue after , just buy a $12 spray bottle of GOO GONE remover. I bought a bottle from cnd tire and use it for many situations.

·
Registered
261 Posts
A Canadian Tire temporary garage or do you have a place to build a simple carport. The problem with mats etc. is that you have to be ready for the storm ahead of time and cover the vehicle preemptively.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts