Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I command you to SEARCH
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, yesterday, as I was coming over the West Seattle bridge (for those that know the area) doing about 35-40 and merging into traffic, I noticed a bit of smoke behind me. Thinking it was the car behind me, I stayed on it for maybe 20 seconds. When I looked back again, I could tell it was coming from my car. I immediatly(sp?) hit the hazards, and got to the shoulder. I popped the hood, and saw oil everywhere! Mostly on the rear firewall, but it was pretty much everywhere. It was also all over the rear bumper, and dripping from the underneith of the car. On my first quick inspection, I could not see anything that would look like a blown motor. The flatbed showed up, and while loading it, I could see that the oil drail plug/bolt was still intact.
Well, we get it to the dealership, where my mechanic works, and got it up on the lift. The entire oil filter was gone! Now, I had the oil changed 1500 miles ago, by my trusted mechanic, and have driven it almost daily. We took it to Canada a few weeks ago even.
The senior mechanic (not my mechanic) was asking all sorts of stupid questions. One that comes to mind is "were you getting on it". What kind of question is that? Of course I "get on it" when I merge into traffic you dumbass! That should not blow the oil filter off.
After talking to my mechanic, we think it was either a faulty part, that took a bit to come loose. Or, it was the wrong part entirely.
I still trust the guy, so he will still be working on my car.
We put a new filter on, filled up the oil, and wipped the motor down. We turned it over, and everything is fine. We have put about 20 miles on it, and it seems to be ok.
I do think I will be getting an oil pressure gauge in the near future though... :D
I will be calling that dealership today to get them to reimberse me for the cost of the tow.

L

·
0 Posts
im sorry but that is the reason i lets no one touch my cars.. fuck that.... a faulty oil filter...what did it have no thread on it or what... they were just tryin to save there asses from being sued..

·
Registered
553 Posts
How are the threads on the motor where the filter attaches? That might be a possibility to consider as the culprit. Atleast no damage was done...

·
Registered
323 Posts
look I've heard stories of people having there oil changed and ending up with no oil in the car afterward so their engine blew. needless to say they payed for it but whatever. I had my car checked out, the old camaro, and they were suppose to top off all the fluids, 3 days later my tranny starting messing up bad, so I check it, no trans. fluid. Needless to say I'm not very trusting of anyone when it comes to my cars.

·
I command you to SEARCH
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We checked the threads where the filter connects to the block. They were as good as new.

The mechanic is a very trusted friend. He is on my car team.

It sucks that I have to clean all that up, as I keep my engine bay damn near spotless.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Ok. Sounds like a faulty filter then. What are you planning on using to clean up all the oil?

·
I command you to SEARCH
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, a little non toxic orange cleaner on a rag for the metal. Then go over it ith a shop towel.

Lot's of elbow grease....

Oh, I was reimbersed for the tow....

·
Registered
553 Posts
Wow. I didn't think you would get reimbursed. Doesn't sound like it should be too much of a problem then to clean up the mess.

·
I command you to SEARCH
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll be cleaning it up tomorrow.

They had to reimberse me for the tow. They were the last one's to touch my car. It was their work that was faulty. I had no fault in it. Had the filter not fallen off, I would of never needed a tow.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Did you ask the dealership to clean up the engine compartment? If they reimbursed you for the tow maybe they'll clean it up too.

I've never heard of a faulty filter.

Is this dealership any where near Kent, WA? They sound honest. I might need an honest mechanic some day. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
How long before this happened you had the oil changed? Man this is not rigth or does not sound right to me. The mechanic could have not tighten the dam filter enough or he for got to put one on if you just had the oil changed before that. Even if it was a faulty filter look at how lon the filter mount is with threads. I mean how could the filter come off because one---the filter is kind of facing up wards....two the threaded filter mount and three---where did the filter go? I wopuld think you would have heard it come off bouncing off the ground and hitting the bottom of the car. Anyways just sounds too easy for them to say it was a defective filter.

·
G14 CLASSIFIED!!!!
763 Posts
It happens when,

You dont pre gease the gasket when installing the new fi;ter. A common mistake with garages and any one who does there own Filter change.... it happens you get rushed or just have brain freeze. No worries the dealership he is through is in the northend and it sounds like they made good on their end of the deal.... The only thing that sucks for 1CLN is that his engine bay looks like ours! LOL, I will say it once again he is the most ANAL person I know when it comes to his SHOW ride and yet he still allows me to work on it...... (Sean you know what I am talking about, No disrespect)........

·
I command you to SEARCH
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Most of the oil was on the undercariage(sp?). I cleaned up most of the stuff unfer the hood the next day, and the rest will be cleaned up in the next couple of days.
My car will be in the GICS show at the Tacoma Dome this weekend if any locals want to come see....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts