Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a few months ago my girlfriend got backed into at a red light messed the bumber up and broke a few things however upon inspection bout a month later i noticed water on my fingers when i touched the radiator ...anyways the car got hot one day so i stopped driving it sat for few months car ran fine and didnt overheat maybe got 2 almost 3 quarters of the way to overheating .....NOW THE CAR REVS WHEN IT IS IN PARK ...BUT IDLES LIKE A BRAND NEW CAR IS
IN DRIVE ...PLEASE HELP WHAT IS THE PROBLEM

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
a few months ago my girlfriend got backed into at a red light messed the bumber up and broke a few things however upon inspection bout a month later i noticed water on my fingers when i touched the radiator ...anyways the car got hot one day so i stopped driving it sat for few months car ran fine and didnt overheat maybe got 2 almost 3 quarters of the way to overheating .....NOW THE CAR REVS WHEN IT IS IN PARK ...BUT IDLES LIKE A BRAND NEW CAR IS
IN DRIVE ...PLEASE HELP WHAT IS THE PROBLEM
ALSO SORRY I FORGOT TO MENTION I PUT THE RADIATOR IN IT AFTER A FEW MONTHS WENT BYE AND THEN WHEN I RESTARTED IT IT WAS DOING THE REVING THING BUT I DID START IT A FEW TIMES WHILE IT SAT AND NEVER DID THAT

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,224 Posts
Did you by any chance disconnect the throttle body harness connector or the gas pedal sensor harness connector. If you did, that may account for the high idle speed; you would have to go through the idle re-learn procedures get back to the proper idle speed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Simply taking the connectors loose shouldn't require a re-learn unless there's a resistance issue in the connectors. Sounds like you may have a big vacuum leak, the most common culprit is the rubber accordion in the inlet. They usually fail on the bottom side and may look okay, but when you feel along the bottom you find a separation in the rubber that your finger can poke through. The mass airflow (MAF) is upstream from the accordion, so a leak there is basically unmetered air. If you don't find any leaks, check for debris in the MAF. Very few Nissans have a MAP sensor to back up the MAF, so the ECM has no means to know if the MAF is lying. A few simple strands of hair can cause haywire behavior. Sometimes MAF readings change with old age as well, I've seen old vehicles whose MAF readings changed as much as 30% before and after an idle volume learn (IAVL). So if you don't find anything else, try that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts