Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 1989 Nissan Cefiro, it has the same engine as a skyline (RB20E - not the RB20DE) and it's an auto. One thing I have noticed about it is that when you come off the mark the car is really gutless (I mean, it can't keep up with 1300cc cars) and then as soon as it hits about 2000 rpm the car just takes off, kind of like it has a turbo but it doesn't. Do any of you guys know what the problem be? it does this no matter what gear it's in cos when you put your foot down and it cycles through the gears, whenever it changes down it's gutless and then builds up again, it's a pain in the arse (other than that, it's a damn great car). Any 2c worth of input would be great!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
JZK316 said:
The skyline engine is the rb26dett. But sounds like something is going out.
Actually only the Gtr models have that engine. From that year some lesser skyline did have the engine he was referring to.
 

·
Niss-Nut
Joined
·
160 Posts
The the R32 skyline does share engines with the Cefiro from the RB20DE to the RB25DE.
What I would suggest is possibly an engine swap to aSkyline Type M engine or a GTS (RB25DE or DET) they would work with your RWD and auto tranny.
I have a friend with a Cefiro I'll see if he has any ideas.
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I have a 1990 Laurel Medalist with RB20DE, check your ignition timing and TPS voltage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
i_wanna_riot69 said:
Hey guys I have a 1989 Nissan Cefiro, it has the same engine as a skyline (RB20E - not the RB20DE) and it's an auto. One thing I have noticed about it is that when you come off the mark the car is really gutless (I mean, it can't keep up with 1300cc cars) and then as soon as it hits about 2000 rpm the car just takes off, kind of like it has a turbo but it doesn't. Do any of you guys know what the problem be? it does this no matter what gear it's in cos when you put your foot down and it cycles through the gears, whenever it changes down it's gutless and then builds up again, it's a pain in the arse (other than that, it's a damn great car). Any 2c worth of input would be great!
Ah, a significant lack of vitamin T? That's torque........

Happiness is a very broad and flat torque curve. You are experiencing the basic small, high reving engine phenom. This is compounded by the automatic tranny.

As that "slush box" shifts up, engine revs drop. You have to keep spinning the engine up, as you accelerate. Does this tranny have overdrive? That wont help either, if it does.

Have fun
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
My old R33 GTS had the RB20E engine and it lacked power at anything below 2000RPM. I don't think there is a lot you can do to remedy this...

I know some people who have big bore exhausts fitted have lost low end power/ torque as a result of less back pressure. I can't confirm this though.

Dave
 
9

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
clueless here, maybe the auto tranny? anyone thats ever driven mr R34 would be shot if they called it gutless at ANY revvs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
This is what is missing:
RPM RWHP Torque


1500 199 404 <not gutless
2000 289.71 439.4 <not gutless
2250 312 440.2 <not gutless
2500 330 445.3
2750 346.7 452.3
3000 366.3 460
3250 384.6 465
3500 390.2 469.2
3750 408.2 471
4000 414.1 472.2
4250 428.2 473
4500 438.9 474.2
4750 450.2 475.3 <not gutless
5000 459.6 472.22
5250 472.0 471.6
5500 476.5 465.3
5750 493.5 463
6000 502.3 459.1 <not at all gutless
6250 499.7 452.3 <not gutless
6500 467.3 451.2 <not gutless
6750 320.2 390.1 <not gutless

Greater than 400 lbft 1500 thru 6500 RPM
FLAT AND BROAD TORQUE CURVE! PLOT IT OUT!
This kind of torque curve isn't easy or CHEAP with 4! There is no substitute for cubic inches. You folks are looking for something that just isn't there! Sorry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
mustangs suck!
oh, and for the first post check your maf(guess). i am a dealer tech in the states and we dont have rb motors, but a lot of us nissans that have faulty maf will lack power untill you get to 2-3k rpms. just something to try.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
s13sr20chris said:
mustangs suck!
oh, and for the first post check your maf(guess). i am a dealer tech in the states and we dont have rb motors, but a lot of us nissans that have faulty maf will lack power untill you get to 2-3k rpms. just something to try.
First off, what does a Nissan show for low RPM grunt?

But, as I see here, you guys are about as classy as New Jersey f-body owners. Mustangs suck indeed! You mean like the new 350ZX that became just a spec in my rear view mirror just last night? Impressive. It seemed about as fast as an Aries K, and THEY suck!

b-bye
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
329 Posts
Classy? :rolleyes: Look guys, this poster is just a child or someone with a weak intellect. Its no use to post relevant facts because this poster only wants to talk shit and stir up touble. Frankly, I'd ban him if I were a MOD, but not because I fear what he has to say, but rather its because what he says is mindless inflamatory blather.

Yes, the Mustang can be made very fast and car have a lot of torque. And, I'd even love to have a yellow 1994-1998 Mustang full of Steeda parts - one that could outperfomr the CobraR and still be cheaper. But, the Skyline turbo cars are not one-not wonders (as is too often the case with Mustangs, F-bodies, and Corvettes) with drag racing only. Skylines are about total performance, ie corners - both left and RIGHT.

If you were really interested in Skylines, you would have investigated further before posting such tripe. If you ever get serious about education, we can help you learn more - and facts, not just the other mindless blatherings of children back in the USA who only know the Skyline via video games. If not, BAN THIS GUY!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
scourge said:
Classy? :rolleyes: Look guys, this poster is just a child or someone with a weak intellect. Its no use to post relevant facts because this poster only wants to talk shit and stir up touble. Frankly, I'd ban him if I were a MOD, but not because I fear what he has to say, but rather its because what he says is mindless inflamatory blather.

Yes, the Mustang can be made very fast and car have a lot of torque. And, I'd even love to have a yellow 1994-1998 Mustang full of Steeda parts - one that could outperfomr the CobraR and still be cheaper. But, the Skyline turbo cars are not one-not wonders (as is too often the case with Mustangs, F-bodies, and Corvettes) with drag racing only. Skylines are about total performance, ie corners - both left and RIGHT.

If you were really interested in Skylines, you would have investigated further before posting such tripe. If you ever get serious about education, we can help you learn more - and facts, not just the other mindless blatherings of children back in the USA who only know the Skyline via video games. If not, BAN THIS GUY!
Actually, I am not a child. Not by a long shot.
To impugn my intellect is juvenile. You cannot possibly know me for the few posts I have here. Ban me if you will, but that would indicate the level of denial you are in regarding small displacement engines, the cars you drive, and their prowess in comparison to what I, and others I count as my friends, drive. I rarely see folks on the BMW, Audi, Lamborghini, Ferrari, or Austin Martin forums treat others with such distain. Even the folks on the GM forums show more respect to others than you folks seem to.
Come and visit us at our numerous forums. Forums where fiction is not tolerated and fact is not debated. Ban me if you will. Do so and loose a measure of the full richness of knowledge that could be yours if you were to simply listen.

Good Day
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
329 Posts
Bullsh|t. You are either a child or a troll. Had you the intellectual ability you claim to have, you would have been able to discern between an RB20DE and an RB26DETT. Since you could not, your ignorance is apparent. You may not be a child but you certainly act like one. Again, I don't call for your ban out of fear (growing up in Tennessee, I am well aware of your loud mouthed, inbred, trailer park, limited future types all too well). We don't fear you any more than an insect. However, just as the buzzing and biting become annoying, so does the ignorant tripe/trolling that you and your Dumbmestic types bring to import boards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
scourge said:
Bullsh|t. You are either a child or a troll. Had you the intellectual ability you claim to have, you would have been able to discern between an RB20DE and an RB26DETT. Since you could not, your ignorance is apparent. You may not be a child but you certainly act like one. Again, I don't call for your ban out of fear (growing up in Tennessee, I am well aware of your loud mouthed, inbred, trailer park, limited future types all too well). We don't fear you any more than an insect. However, just as the buzzing and biting become annoying, so does the ignorant tripe/trolling that you and your Dumbmestic types bring to import boards.
If I were truly interested in making any distinctions here I would study the topic. And, yes, I am ignorant with regards to the RB2XDEXX. I am not concerned about that. I am sure you are not as well acquainted with plasma containment physics as I am. So what? That doesn't make you stupid.

As far as limited future types go, I know a few, but I assure you that I am not counted in their number.

As you have chosen to lower this discussion to personal affronts, it is you that has shown the extent and quality of his breeding. Pity that.

As far as my limited future goes, I am 42 and COMFORTABLY RETIRED from high tech. I founded a couple of companies and, thanks to God’s favor, did quite well for myself (and the company stock holders).

Dumbmestic! Cleaver. I’ll bet you get all the ladies with your rapier wit.

All of my automobiles are not domestics. I love my Mustangs. I also loved my '94 Diablo VT. But the ex got that along with the house in Boca. I got to pay for my boys' college tuition. (I have two.) Oh well.

I expect that you’ll want to be getting back to your double wide now there Cleatis.

Cheers
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
329 Posts
Then you should not have spewed so much sh|t from your mouth looking to troll. Seven posts and you haven't once posted anything of consequence. You just wanted to talk trash online and now you want to portray yourself as an intellectual. :rolleyes:

Too late. You've already exposed yourself to being an immature troglodyte. Nothing you post can change that now. If you can grow up and post something of value, then I would let you stay. Keep regurgitating the Dumbmestic line from your first post and the laughable assertion that you ever owned a Diablo and that you are in anyway wealthy :rolleyes: and I hope to see you banned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
i_wanna_riot69 said:
Hey guys I have a 1989 Nissan Cefiro, it has the same engine as a skyline (RB20E - not the RB20DE) and it's an auto. One thing I have noticed about it is that when you come off the mark the car is really gutless (I mean, it can't keep up with 1300cc cars) and then as soon as it hits about 2000 rpm the car just takes off, kind of like it has a turbo but it doesn't. Do any of you guys know what the problem be? it does this no matter what gear it's in cos when you put your foot down and it cycles through the gears, whenever it changes down it's gutless and then builds up again, it's a pain in the arse (other than that, it's a damn great car). Any 2c worth of input would be great!
i used to have a leopard with an n/a L20E, a predecessor to your rb20e, and automatic as well. had a similar problem, i suspect the small displacement makes poor low end torque, and a/t's really need decent torque for zoom. once i got it in higher rpm's the torque picked up and it was a blast to cruise around in (no boy racer stuff with that setup though). just adding a turbo and dropping about 100 kg with my similar r30 skyline made a big difference in low end punch, i could finally spin the wheels :)

Lurker Above, '84 gt-ex passage turbo 5m/t...i miss that sob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
scourge said:
Then you should not have spewed so much sh|t from your mouth looking to troll. Seven posts and you haven't once posted anything of consequence. You just wanted to talk trash online and now you want to portray yourself as an intellectual. :rolleyes:
you're feeding the troll, scourge ;)

btw your stats say you're in oki...chagan-ju? :cool: have you taken a trip out to henza yet? i had fun there with my r30 skyline, i was like the only y-plate there. i did one solo, and got the hail out of there before they found out what a pos my ride was compared to their tricked out late models...it was fun :D

Lurker Above
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
329 Posts
I'm in the Okinawa Prefecture, but my actual island is 270 miles away. I'm next to Taiwan in the Yaeyama Island chain. Its still part of Japan......I think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
scourge said:
Then you should not have spewed so much sh|t from your mouth looking to troll. Seven posts and you haven't once posted anything of consequence. You just wanted to talk trash online and now you want to portray yourself as an intellectual. :rolleyes:

Too late. You've already exposed yourself to being an immature troglodyte. Nothing you post can change that now. If you can grow up and post something of value, then I would let you stay. Keep regurgitating the Dumbmestic line from your first post and the laughable assertion that you ever owned a Diablo and that you are in anyway wealthy :rolleyes: and I hope to see you banned.
Posso essere un troll ma il mio honor della famiglia è stato insultato. Ciò non è buona. Ciò è un errore per insultare un honor Siciliano.

What is it that you would like me to post you uomo guasto? I bring facts and you sip some moonshine and you colloquio come un asino della presa.

Hey. Question. If you divorce your wife down there are you still brother and sister?

Questa tribuna è in modo da in pieno dei idiots che bassi della fronte elemosino per essere vietato. Vietilo per favore!

Va la scopata voi stessi e muore una morte misera.

Arrivederci voi ragazzo bastardo del sesso della capra e della madre della montagna. Spero un giorno i vostri arresti del padre che li scopo nel vostro anus. Mangi i miei testicoli fittizi.

In short, the inbreeding you people practice has weakened you. How many teeth ya gut thar Cooter? Three?

Vada al diavolo. Arrivederci.

....L'OH ed io guarderebbero per Sicilians sconosciuto dalla Nuova Jersey se fossi voi. Fittizio. Vaffunculo.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top