Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, great forum; this is my first post so please take it easy on a newb.

So, I bought this 97 GXE for 400 dollars off of Craigslist the other day and other than it being completely gutless, it's great. I mean it barely climbs hills, etc. And forget anything with the AC on. I know what 106 HP in an automatic feels like and this definitely isn't it. Also, if it's been sitting for more than a few hours, I have to turn it over at least 20 or so times and keep mashing the gas to get it to start up. If it has been sitting for 30 minutes to an hour, it starts after 4 or 5 turns. When it does start up, it wheezez up and down 3 or 4 times then it idles perfectly without a hitch for as long as you want.

What I've done so far:
Cleaned the IACV
Changed the plugs and cap (Can't get rotor off but it looks okay and I ohmed the wires out to about 5K.) Also, the plugs had some white ash so running lean?
Changed the air filter
Cleaned the throttle body intake
Cleaned the maf sensor
Checked the pressure on the fuel pump which is about 39 psi steady.
Set the timing to 10 (fourth notch)
Set the idle to 775
Listened to the injectors with a stethoscope they are clicking fine.
Did the pull out one plug wire at a time and got the expected sputtering response each time.
Checked the compression to a surprisingly congruous 159 all the way across.

I'm not sure what else I can do and this is driving me up the wall as I can't seem to figure it out. Which leads me to what I just discovered while staring at it for a while in dismay. Note in the picture the little hole in the intake manifold almost right in the middle of the picture. Could this be it? Have I missed anything other than a vacuum test?

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,236 Posts
that looks like the bottom of the threaded hole to hold the bolted on part.
other than that no clue. my 1997 manual goes good except when the A/C is on !!
How is the gas millage ? Check the temp sensor, people have problems with them throwing the mixture off...too rich.
added
Compression should be higher, did you hold the throttle open when cranking ?
mines 115 HP about 90 - 95 at the wheels ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Ian, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure about the gas mileage as I haven't even transferred the title yet. I thought I'd try to fix it to make sure I really want to drive it before I do the paperwork. I actually didn't hold the throttle all the way when I checked the compression so that might be off a bit. But it's at least 159 which I should mention, the car has 205K miles. I'm going to check the temp sensor in the very near future and I'll report back. I just finished hooking a gauge to the intake manifold vacuum and got a steady reading of 15 inches. I believe that's a little low as it should be between 17 and 22. Is this indicative of a leaky gasket?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bumpety

Can anyone chime in with a yea or nay on whether that hole is supposed to be there on the manifold. Sorry, I'm a Honda guy and this is my first Nissan so I'm not familiar with this at all. I hope I don't have to do the perp walk to the shop and have somebody look at it.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
i will look at mine and let you know, but I dont think this is a problem.
Also the vacuum at 15 inch, since this cars have an EGR i don't know what you would get at idle, but I am guessing this is normal.
I don't know what to expect at 205k because I am nowhere close.
But I would think valves but thats bias from my old English cars.
If you dont find anything look for blow by, oil in the intake from the crankcase.
Maybe a leak down check.
Do the compression test again, hot with throttle all the way open.
After you have run it for a while, Oil consumption and gas consumption will tell you a lot.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Re: the picture, mine is exactly the same.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for checking that, Ian. I removed and reattached the plugs on the injectors and now it seems my starting woes are over. Fires right up. Only thing is, I still don't have much power. Of course the only things I have to compare are my girlfriends '07 Altima and the Civic EX I used to have both of which would walk all over this Sentra even if it were off of the showroom floor. Maybe it's just underpowered. Thanks very much for checking that though. I'm still trying stuff. Maybe I'll switch from the new Autolite plugs to some NGKs and see if that does anything.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Also, if it's been sitting for more than a few hours, I have to turn it over at least 20 or so times and keep mashing the gas to get it to start up. If it has been sitting for 30 minutes to an hour, it starts after 4 or 5 turns. When it does start up, it wheezez up and down 3 or 4 times then it idles perfectly without a hitch for as long as you want.
Can you monitor the fuel pressure with the motor under load? This would indicate a restricted fuel filter or weak pump. I suggest you have the fuel injectors cleaned. John

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
any chance your exhaust (cat or muffler) is clogged
Good suggestion. Gas mileage will be really bad if its blocked and performance bad as well.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hey guy's My 96 has the same exact issues after tunning it up it still has avery hard time starting?? The plugs are white and read very lean as if fuel delivery is way off? I checked it with a Snap On scan tool an the check engine light code was the MAS I pulled it and checked it out and found that there was alot of oil in the tract so I cleaned it and cleared the code. It still is very hard starting?? The filter looks fairly new? How is the fuel line on these cars? Does it rot out?? I had a similer problem on my truck and replaced the fuel line and the problem was solved.... Are the fuel pumps easy to check? what should the pressure be?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts