Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, this may sound kinda far fetched, but can connect an aftermarket engine temp gauge to the engine to mointor the the temp, and then run the old temp gauge to where the tach line is in my xe and then take a tach face and put it on top of the old temp gauage, there by making my temp gauage a tach and having a temp gauage anyway? i think i sound eityher brillinat or realllllllllly dumb..... i need to know tho

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
I think it would be a lot easier to pick up a GXE gauge cluster at a boneyard.

·
Towards Antisocial
592 Posts
I agree with samo

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, but what i know is, CAN it be done?

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
I was looking at the temp gauge travel on the SE-R cluster in my room, and no, not without extensive modification of the temp gauge motor. The travel of both the temp and the fuel gauge is 180 degrees, whereas the tach travels ~270 degrees. In order to make this work, you would have to somehow make the temp gauge travel farther and then come up with something to do with the fuel gauge... and so forth. Tach clusters are $50 at the local junkyard.

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
Okay, let's see if I can make that actually make sense. Basically, the motor that controls the temp gauge needle has stops that make the needle only able to travel a 180-degree arc - a half circle. The tach travels appx. 270 degrees - 3/4 of a circle. See the problem?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ah, ok thanks samo! now i see the error of my ways.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts