Nissan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i`m new and this is my first post!

My problem is this!

I am converting my Pulsar Gti-R from 4WD to FWD! and i have stumbled across a problem!

My Gti-R has a Hydraulic clutch and i need to know if i can just replace the Hydraulic pedal assembly with a cable assembly???

This probably has never been done before as it is quite a strange conversion (but i could be wrong)

Heres a pic of the Project car in question!

Tony....

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
not fair I WANT ONE, well the se-r tranny im pretty postive is hydrolic could use that and why on earth would u make that awsome rally car fwd?

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
yah why the hell would you want it to be FWD instead of AWD?

·
Super-Mod with a 240
2,375 Posts
I don't know why you want to convert to FWD, but I will give you one word of advice: don't do it. You'll have a pile of transmissions like there are piles of Asians in South Hall (if you know much about London, you'll know what I'm talking about). The cable-type trannies just can't hold up to the boost like your GTi-R's tranny can. Also, don't you think that it's counterintuitive to go from AWD to FWD? That's like giving you potatoes when all you love is fish and chips. ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Tony Gti-R said:
Hi guys i`m new and this is my first post!

My problem is this!

I am converting my Pulsar Gti-R from 4WD to FWD! and i have stumbled across a problem!

My Gti-R has a Hydraulic clutch and i need to know if i can just replace the Hydraulic pedal assembly with a cable assembly???

This probably has never been done before as it is quite a strange conversion (but i could be wrong)

Heres a pic of the Project car in question!

Tony....
Besides being the most stupid idea i've seen in a while, YES the cable setup from the RS5F32A gearbox will bolt up to the stock holes in the firewall, but you will need to change the pedal assembly inside the car too. The gearbox itself will bolt up to the GTIR block but there will most likely be 2 bolts that won't line up perfectly. You will need to create a custom bracket on the back of the block and get the driver side driveshaft from another car as the GTIR driveshaft is supported by the trasnfer case housing so it cannot be used. There are so many things that need to be changed that i can't really see the point?
If you're serious about it, PAR Engineering in Australia make an uprated gearset for the FWD SR20 gearbox you might want to invest in one as you'll EAT a normal gearbox easily. Also might want to consider a Nismo LSD as you'll certainly need that too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the positive comments guys!!! :rolleyes:

Why would i need to make a bracket for the Block???

I alredy have a Gti box and fly ready to go on and can easily get hold of a Gti driverside shaft!

I know of someone in New Zeland running 500hp thru a stock Gti tranny on a drag car so i`m not too worried about it breaking.

Stock Gti trannys are apparently rated at 250hp anyway so i should be ok as i`m only putting out that for now!!!!!

What other bits are you talking about that need to be changed over???

So far my list of needed parts is!

1 Gti Tranny
2 Gti Flywheel
3 Clutchnet, Sentra 6 puk copper clutch kit and release bearing
4 Clutch peday assy
5 Clutch cable
6 Gear lever assy
7 Gti driverside shaft

Tony....

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
oh good god what a nice looking car!!!!! why would you want FWD? hell i just got stuck in snow twice yesterday (1time in a ditch and one more in a large pile) and if i had awd i could have easly gotten out....instead my friend needed to pull me out with his blazer. any who if you do go FWD "VEGA" could use all of your AWD parts (he wants to convert his b14 to an AWD)

but seriously why would you want FWD? it blows for serious driving, fwd is perfect for those who dont know how to drive correctly, RWD is for those who like to able to steer their car (with throttle) in bad situations, AWD is for those who dont like to worry about bad situations :thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It seems everybody thinks this is a bad idea!!

the pulsar suffers from understeer in the first place!!!!!!

The reason for me converting is-

1. The 4wd is nearly 15years old on this car now, and is starting to show the stress of all the powerslides and doughnuts its achieved!!

2. The closest 4wd rollers are bout 90miles away!! and charge the earth for a session. Plus they aint really got a clue and you get a hyped up power figure!!

3. I`m starting to get a bit sick of spending money fixing it and i`m at a point where lots of expensive 4wd bits are looming!!!!

4. I want to drag it and if you look at this car putting out 500+ hp throught the front wheels you may see method in my madness!!!!

http://www.nissangtir.co.uk/smoke.zip

http://www.nissangtir.co.uk/1.zip

This guy is putting in faster 1/4 times than similar powered 4wd pulsars over here!!!!

Plus i like to mess on with cars!!!!! :cool:

Tony....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anybody shed some light on this Bracket i need to meke for the block??

Is it to support the Driveshaft or the Gearbox???

cheers!

Tony....

·
Registered
574 Posts
Im not sure about those fwd gti trannies you have there, but the fwd cable trannies we have grenade with 200whp and thats not even on slicks. Theres better ways to counter understeer then swapping to a fwd. Good luck with you serup though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know exactly what i`ve got bud and i`m tired of it!!!! So best to modify it than split it for parts!

Plus, with the abundance of them in the uk it wont be very hard at all to put it back to its original state!

Tony....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Why not convert to rwd if your going to drag it? that makes more sense to me i dont know about every one else, but im with all these guys Dont touch it leave it awd its to beautiful the way it is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
tranny

Hey,

I'm new to this place so please excuse me if I make some errors. I have a B13 that just installed a 4 trottle, t3/4 ,NOS, and an emanage. The gearbox I used was a Primera P10 2wd ( thick spline ) and an ACT clutch. In this conversion I learned quite alot. I had to get primera v-joints and B13 GTS axles. ( If anybody wants pulsar parts I have PLENTY ) but I used a hydro. box. Any way you look at it you will have to spend some $$$$ for the change.

greg

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi.!
tony.. Gti tranny where i can find one of thoses?
do you do the change awd to fwd yet?
i am doing a swap of a gti-r engine to a b15 but a im having problems whit the trasmission awd to fwd.

·
Registered
574 Posts
qg18nismo said:
hi.!
tony.. Gti tranny where i can find one of thoses?
do you do the change awd to fwd yet?
i am doing a swap of a gti-r engine to a b15 but a im having problems whit the trasmission awd to fwd.
Uhm are you trying to put an awd GTIR tranny in your b15?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts