Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ive got a pickle 4 an arm
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well frickidy doo da,

my seat belt alarm has suddnely and abruptly started flashing and beeping at me. FOR NO REASON! just driving down the road, both belts plugged in and in the correct placement. minding my own beeswax, when BLING! (sound fx for idiot light) and weeeeeee weeeeeeee weeeeee.

i really don't get it. i looked for a fuse, but i can't find one. And my Haynes manual mentions nothing on how to locate and fix this problem (at least looking from the index)

and problem #2.

anyone know why my gearshift (auto) is soo damn stiff all of the sudden? it takes so much force just to get it moving now. my fluid is full. maybe i should drain and replace it?

no it has nothing to do with the lock gate. the part where you have to have your foot on the brake. i'm talking about moving the shift through all of the gears. the whole way its stiff and hesistant to engage in gear. i even had the car NOT SHIFT during acceleration once. ?????
i'm afraid of costly repairs or even swaping. i'm not ready to do any work right now, nor can afford to pay someone to do it for me.

i'm trying to find an appartment, under 700$ in Portland, ME!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've got the same problem with my '93 XE Sentra. A quick fix (for mine) is to reach over to the passenger belt and unplug and plug the sucker back in. The problem with this is when I'm going down the freeway at 70mph this is not necessarily an easy task since my cruise control doesn't work. I don't know if your passenger belt is the culprit, but mine is. I tried looking for the fuses as you did and took it into a shop but they said that they were baffled and to save me a lot of money by trying to find it I should just get used to it. I was very tempted to pull the thing out when I was replacing a bulb in the dash, I had to really refrain myself from tearing into it. I know your pain, it only gets worse. I have since gotten a '92 GXE and I don't drive the '93 anymore... ahhh... no more buzzer. :-D. Anyway, my mother drives the '93 so if you manage to find anything let me know. I don't know how she can deal with that, oh well.

·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i believe its in my drivers side. i removed my passenger side when the light was on, but not buzzing. it started buzzing untill i put it back. then i undid mine, nothing happened. the light stayed on. plugged it back in. nothing.

did you bring it to a Nissan Dealer?

i wonder if its a connection in the wires broken, dirty, or whatever..........

·
Registered
61 Posts
Regarding your auto gears shift being stiff.

I'm not sure if my problem is like yours, but it seems like the shifting is due to the sensor switch.

If the gear was engaged, can it shift automatically while driving ?

Does the problem only occur when you try to shift the handle from D to P or N or D1/D2 ? In addition, do you have a problem cranking and all you hear is a 'tuck tuck' sound ? (like a flat battery) and by moving the gear handle a little you'd be able to start ?

If yes to the above, then the problem is most likely to be the gear shift switch/sensor.

It's located near the CV boot area in line with the distributor cap.
When you shift the gear, you would see this switch move via a linkage bar. Maybe it's this bar that you'd have to grease a little.

Hope this helps.:rolleyes:

·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
no problems starting at all.

Usually the car shifts perfectly fine when in gear, just that one time during acceleration, it didn't upshift. which worrys me a bit. so far THAT hasn't happend again. if it does i would be in a Panic!

it might be related to greasing up the shifter cable/linkage. whatever it is. but i don't have any stands. i'm trying to hold off for when i do my oil change, when i go to my uncles'.

wich is another debate, regular oil Vs syn. you guys tell me syn, but my uncle INSISTS that it is just a waste of money. i'm still debating the value of switching....

regarding the seatbelt... PatScott, gave me an idea, the wire under the seat. after thinking about it, the light does come on when i move the seat back and forth while driving, at leat i think its my car. it could be my sister's Camry that did that. anyway i'm checkin it out in a bit.....

EDIT: i went to check my seat, but as soon as i sat down i felt a click like my seat just locked into place. i started the car and the alarm wasn't there.... hmm maybe that was it. wich is weird considering i was driving for about 15 min. then the light came on. i'm still wondering if that was it.... ihave noticed a "flash" form the light at other times. today was the first time it stayed on.

but if it happens again i'll just try what PatScott said, and remove the cable from under the seat. he said he did this in his B14, this might help you out Daishi....

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
I thought seatbelts had a lieftime warranty? I don't know if the buzzer would be considered part of that or not. It'd be worth findind out. I need to take my SE-R in to have the seatbelts fixed (they dont' retract all the way, retract! retract damnit!) and they're supposed to do it pro-bono. Although I don't like the idea of other jacakasses than myself touching my car, so I might just aske them how they fix it and do it myself when I've got the door panels off to put my power windows and locks in. Hey Daishi, if you know of anyone who's looking for a B13 my '93 XE is for sale. Charcoal grey 2 door, 5 speed, cruise, A/C, 98K miles, I'm asking $2900 but that's to leave myself negotiation room. Car runs perfect and had a new clutch and new CV axles put in this spring. Full synthetic oil and tranny grease. In better mechanical and interior shape than my SE-R is. :(

·
Registered
61 Posts
My friend had a similar problem with the gearbox not shifting up. In fact it could only shift to 3rd.
His mechanic found the fault relating to the kick down cable inside of the auto transmission. Seemed that it had worn out, along with some springs. Had to drain the trans fluid and replaced the cable via an access panel under the auto gearbox (directy under the distributor) The components cost peanuts but the access to the area cost him an arm.

My mechanic suggested to use regular oil as my car is 11 yrs old and that it'll help compensate for the worn out engine head seals. He was right partially, but my consumption increased and performance was a tad rough and degraded.

My next oil change is due soon and I'd probably use a synthetic oil of 10W-40. Heard that this would be better.

Can't help on the seat belts tho, coz my car ain't have the wires connected.

:cool:

·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
ok i'm re hashing this post because i still didn't fix my damn seatbelt alarm problem and it has started to get a bit more frequent.

but i have located the problem to my driver's side automatic seatbelt thingy in on the door.

so any electrical peeps out thir know a do-it-yourself remedy for this such as just killing this alarm by cutting a certain wire or a fuse thing.....?????

the tranny problem seems to have gone away. i did find one day while doing an oil change that the cable poped out of its bracket under the car. so i poped it back in. i'm not sure if that was what the trick was, but i dont' recall having the problem ever since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts