Discussion Starter #1
hi,

its my 1st time here...i'm from Singapore
gonna get a NX in the next week or two
see u around :D

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
Remeber that this forum is Canada AND INTERNATIONAL. He is probably buying one in Singapore.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup, i will buying one in S'pore.
actually, there's quite a no of nx in s'pore.
been looking around but the price quoted was too high.
cars cost way too much in s'pore due to the restrictions imposed by the govt, taxes and all.

here's the nx i was looking at the other day.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
actually there's are quite a no of them in singapore.
all u need is just a new paint job, sports rims and a bodykit...a nice looking car to drive in ;)

anyway, the car ownership system in singapore is too restrictive and expensive.

1) all our cars are taxed 100 to 150% for its import
2) we have to buy a so-called certificate of entitlement (10 yrs) to own a car and when it expires, u gotta renew for another 5 or 10 years or u gotta scrap it.
3) pay road tax to be able to drive on the road

so the cost of owning and driving a car in singapore is 2 to 3 times that of most countries.....bummer :(

the car that i showed earlier only has a life of 3 yrs left b4 it have to be scrapped.

by the way, u guys should check out the nx featured in the Australian magazine, Hot4s, nice mod job they did on it.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey, chill out guys.
we are all here forone thing, CARS!!!
its always a good thing to know more ppl, aint it? :D
and thru misunderstandings, we get to know to each other better but not too much of it please....haha

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well.....either way, it sucks....haha :D
but i'm an accountant, guess i should be able to save on taxes LEGALLY if i was in Canada.
meanwhile, i guess i'm stuck with all this car taxes and stuff in s'pore.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Zone said:
well.....either way, it sucks....haha :D
but i'm an accountant, guess i should be able to save on taxes LEGALLY if i was in Canada.
meanwhile, i guess i'm stuck with all this car taxes and stuff in s'pore.
We have taxes on everything here , Zone. We pay taxes on cars but not to that extreme because we assemble cars in Canada and we are part of the North America Free trade Market.(that may be good or bad, depending on your opinion). However having said that we don`t assemble Nissans. They have a plant in USA for Altimas and a plant in Mexico for Sentras. Max is made in Japan.

My point is if the tax man doesn`t get you on car purchases here , he will get you on something else. Seriously, there are so many cars to choose from that the dealers have got to keep the prices within reach of the consumer to be competative.;) Hope that makes sense......

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yup, i agree...the taxman will get our money one way or another.
haven't got my car yet....car buying seems to be an enriching experience especially since its my first time.
didn't go thru the deal for that coupe that i posted cos the owner asked for too high a price for it. anyway, i will be taking my time and look around for a good buy. thanks for the help guys! its my pleasure getting to know u all. :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey Zone,

COE prices are on the decline.. maybe you'd get a good deal for that NX.

Sat in one before. loved it. Pity the doors don't slide forward when it opens.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nah, the owner started out with the price of $20.8k SGD for the nx, COE till 3/2006. he offered to charge 1k less cos we met up abt 1 month after the ad.
dun think he will reduce much anyway.
the avg ad price for a nx is abt 18k and with bargaining should be around 16-17k. its not a car thats easy to get rid off in s'pore so if i bought it, i'm practically stuck with it till the end of the COE.
anyway, there are quite a no of better deals out there such as nx selling for 36k, COE (18k+) till 2011. its a better deal cos i could always scrap the nx after a few yrs and get the remaining value of the COE back. for a used car that depreciates like 6k/yr, i might as well get a used BMW 316I or 520I.
i'm not that desperate for a car for the moment so i could always wait....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi,

glad you still can wait.

Car prices traditionally are higher towards year end and Lunar new year.

If you can wait, then somewhere after budget announcement will be ideal.

The number of cars de-registered this year exceeds the number registered. So under basic law of econs (l flunked it anyway) since supply exceeds demand, price will fall.

Nonetheless, some things you would need to consider when buying a car like that..
Depreciation value minus the COE.
As a benchmark for me, if it's less than 5k per yr you can go for it.
Also take into consideration the insurance factors. Coupe cars have a much higher premiums and if you are a new driver without any NCD, be prepared to pay a very high premium.

Buying a car is easy, just maintaining the premiums and loans that are a real turn off.

my 2 cents worth. :p

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
actually, the price has dropped and will drop towards the end of the year. this is due to the decreasing COEs, lack of demand, increasing competition between the dealers plus the fact that year end bonus is coming. no bonus for me though cos i dumped my previous company to join my fren's company just recently.

anyway, there are alot of scams out there by some unscrupulous dealer to cheat buyers of their deposits so i'm quite careful. some of the deals seems too good to be true. i'm tempted but nah...haha

just waiting, car-gazing for the time being.
anybody going for the Singapore Motorshow @ S'pore Expo Hall?

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yup, we drive on the left side of the road in s'pore
all cars here are right-wheel drive.

as for motorcycles.....yea we do have alot of them

its ok anyway cos i'm not really familiar with the rest of the world...haha
we are all here from various parts of the world to talk abt cars, make frens and have a happy time here ;)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts