Nissan Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a z31 and swaping a vq30det engine in it..... any one have any info on it?...... what do you think about this project of mine?........

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
I have no idea how hard the DET motors are to get. A DETT would prolly be easier, and emissions legal. If you want to do something real unique, put in an RB26.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the engine is not VG30DET... its VQ30det... from australian/japanese car i think the cars name is cedric... its rear wheel drive just like z31.... n the engine produces 270hp stock...

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
z31-84 said:
the engine is not VG30DET... its VQ30det... from australian/japanese car i think the cars name is cedric... its rear wheel drive just like z31.... n the engine produces 270hp stock...
Ah, my bad. The q looked like a g. :rolleyes: Might be a kool project, but where can you get one and how much to import it, assuming you're in the U.S.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i am in us... i looked online and found the engine for 4k.... so now im just gona save up for the engine... and at the same time looking for more places.... ma friend told me to check at soko (engine shop) so i will probably check it when ill get a chance..... but for now i gota keep my eyes for a z31 in good condition..... it will take me time.... but i can wait... i just wanted to c if any one knew anything about putin that engine in 300zx...

·
Z31 know-it-all
1,023 Posts
$4k for a motor that puts out 270hp?

Do you realize what kind of power you could get out of the VG30ET with $4k?

·
Z31 know-it-all
1,023 Posts
z31-84 said:
it is not VG30DET its VQ30det
Yes. I read that. Did you know that with a $10 boost controller set to 12.5 psi, the VG30ET puts out 270hp?

So why do you want to spend $4,000 to get the same amount of power that the stock VG30ET can put out with only $10?

edit: Also note I said VG30ET, NOT VG30DET.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh.... never thought about that.....its just my friend gave me that idea... and it just sounded like no one tried it... so i wanted to try making it as ma a project car...

·
Z31 know-it-all
1,023 Posts
If your goal is to do something different, then by all means, go for it. But if your goal is to get a bunch of horsepower, the cheapest and easiest way is to stick with the stock block.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you are absolutely right... i still have to really think and research it....so i pretty much have alot of time....

·
Registered
274 Posts
Go with the DET engine. Unique one-off setups are the coolest. How many Z31's here have a DOHC setup here? If you have the $$, it sounds like it's worth it. A factory turbocharged VQ would be VERY cool. I've never even heard of a stock turbo VQ. If it comes with 270 from the factory, spend that $10 on a boost controller (well, more like $50 for a good halman) and make 350. I'm guessing it's a single turbo setup, so upgrade that, intercool, cams, and because it's a VQ, there should be just as much, if not more, aftermarket support for the engine. I hope you can weld, there's going to be a bit of fab work involved.

·
Registered
307 Posts
AZ-ZBum said:
Yes. I read that. Did you know that with a $10 boost controller set to 12.5 psi, the VG30ET puts out 270hp?

So why do you want to spend $4,000 to get the same amount of power that the stock VG30ET can put out with only $10?

edit: Also note I said VG30ET, NOT VG30DET.
if you put 12.5 psi on the stock setup wont there be detonation, it doesn't have a stock intercooler.

·
Z31 know-it-all
1,023 Posts
hondakillerZX said:
if you put 12.5 psi on the stock setup wont there be detonation, it doesn't have a stock intercooler.
Some do. Most don't. I don't have a problem with 91 octane.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I ran 16 psi non intercooled with just a little detonation.

Engine lasted 6 months- 12.9 @ 108

Surprised the hell out of a lot of C5's and 03 cobras.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts