Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Aaaayh!
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good Header?

What would be a good header for my car. I know the Hotshot ones are supposed to be really good but are a bit to expensive for right now. Is there anything that is cheaper that isnt total junk or would i just be better off waiting and saving up?

·
Registered
413 Posts
AEBS should be releasing there's soon, but they are in the same price range as the HS.

Stillen has one that is around the same as HS price.

If Pacesetter ever gets their shit together, they will be producing the all famous cheap ass SR20 header once again in three styles; standard shipping w/black paint, Armor-coated, and a new Kombat Stainless Steel. They are of partial quality, but have been dyno proven for some decent gains for the price.

And there is OBX and HP Racing headers. I have no info on them.

Your best bet would probably be to try and pick up a used 4th generation HotShot or Stillen header.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have Stillen on my car now. They seem to be okay.

·
Aaaayh!
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks . I'll start looking. Are they much trouble to get in? I've watched people put them in before but never on a car like mine.

·
Registered
413 Posts
1997 GA16DE said:
well the stillen is the GEN 1 H$. I second NismoPC's idea. look for a slightly older generation HS header (3rd or 4th) I would check the classifieds sections in all the local nissan boards.
Uh, I think you meant to say the Pacesetter is the Gen 1 HS. But I actually believe from some prior discussion on this that it is actually the 2nd generation HS that Pacesetter duplicated. the Stillen is a completely different design.

G

·
Dont ever spend your money on a stillen header. Both the current gereration 4-1 style and the previous generation 4-2-1 style headers have almost nothing to gain! I had the older style and i heard the newer style is worse. My friends car has a pacesetter and it pulls real hard especially in the mid range section. If you are on a budget, get that. If not the wait for the AEBS.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I know some people who have used the pacesetter and it really is a better way to go... they're only like 150 bucks or something...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Why not just save up longer and get the best? Do you want to say "OH I have the 3rd best header in my car, but I saved $50."

Ju§tin

·
Registered
413 Posts
Crono1321 said:
Why not just save up longer and get the best? Do you want to say "OH I have the 3rd best header in my car, but I saved $50."

Ju§tin
Just my thoughts.

You can have a: used

1. used PS Header for anywhere between $75 and $100
2. used HS Gen 3 for around $250
3. used HS Gen 4 for around $300-$350 or less

OR save up for a long time and hope to get enough to purchase the HS Gen 5 for around $420-$450 knowing that probably within less than 1 year (becasue you've been saving up for the last 8 months) the HS Gen 5 will ONLY be the 5th best header on your car and that they just released Gen 6. Hmm?

Then compare the HP/torque gains per $ spent on the header and see if it is worth it to spend the extra $50 to $350 for the minimal gains received per header.

Don't get me wrong, the HS 5 was recently dynoed and the guy was able to achieve a 10 HP gain without doing any other mods. That is quite impressive. But if you don't have the extra cash to flow, then you'll have to settle for the header that has less flow.

Case in point. Check my sig. :D

G

·
I would go with Hot shots, from the research I've done they seem to be the best one to purchase for preformance, but if you want to say you have a header then Pacesetter would be the best choice.
Lee

·
Registered
249 Posts
Remember you get what you pay for!!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
To: NISMOPC

Hmm well I guess some people are content with getting a Walmart header over a HotShot header. I'm not telling him what to do I am suggesting. I know I have bought parts that were sub-par to my expectations, and I have regretted buying them, changing them out for a better product. Also...modding a car isn't about money. If you are going to do something, might as well do it right the first time. And as far as the "6th gen HS Header,"....well I find it hard to believe Hotshot would come out with yet another one (although it could happen) after they just improved it for the 5th time. IMO I think they will start focusing on the QR20DE and the 3.5L engine that goes in the altima, maxima, 350Z. And even if they come out with a better one you will still have the 2nd best header, instead of now the 10th best....

BTW I think he was talking about new headers, not used ones. If he wants to buy a new one the only thing he should get is the HotShot. Why waste time and effort on something else that is inferior??

Ju§tin

·
Registered
413 Posts
Crono

I absolutely agree with you, but there are alternatives for people who want to gain performance within a budget. I just wanted him to be aware of those alternatives.

My budget is based on my family, house, 2 cars, etc. So I have to watch what monies I spend on modifications.

The Pacesetter header has been proven to give quite responsive 'dyno proven' results for the price. It is the best bang for the buck header for the SR20DE. Even though it is a completely duplicated rip-off of an earlier generation HS Header, it has the price for some who can't afford to throw down $450 for on a new HS header.

There has been several heated discussions about this over on www.sr20deforums.com. And there are dyno's to prove it works well. Hell, SCC even did a dyno on them with decent results.

Now, if I was able to afford a new HS Header (Gen 5, of course) I would have bought one and already had it installed. Since I am not able to, I am very happy with the results the PS Header has provided.

And Rex2NV, just because someone has a Pacesetter header on their car does not mean the only reason they did it was to brag and say, "Yea, I got a header on my car too!" If I wanted to do that, I would have purchased a OBX Header or HPRacing header for more than twice as much and had NO dyno numbers whatsoever to back up those eBay selling pieces of crap!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Word up to everything you said! :) I agree with you. If anyone knows how to live on a budget, its a 17-year old who is in High School 5 days a week and then pushes himself to work 30 hours a week during the school year. This is the equivalent of having 2 full time jobs. I know it sounds like I'm bitter, but I chose it, and the only reason I work is for my car, really. Otherwise I would be riding the bus home and then waking up the next morning to go to school. After my bills are paid, I usually only get around 300 to spend a month on the car. It may sound like a good amount, but its not when you are an impatient youth!

And what are you talking about? OBX and HP don't make good products? :)

Ju§tin

·
Registered
413 Posts
Crono1321 said:
And what are you talking about? OBX and HP don't make good products? :)
This is my personal experience:

I tried to get both companies to provide a spec sheet and actual dyno runs (true R&D results, not hokey marketing slogans) and neither company was willing to provide any resources to prove their product even provided any performance gains (hp or torque).

"You will gain atleast 5 HP with our product" - horse shit!

I was hoping that SCC would do another SR20DE header shootout, but they have not. The OBX and HPRacing header for the SR20DE both seemed to be a great price and looked like nice quality, but since I was not able to get backing from the companies who actually produced them, I consider them to be absolutely worthless.

:D Atleast SCC felt the Pacesetter was worthy enough to test it's performance. That was good enough for me.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts