Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have yet to see someone with an intake for the e16i engine, only the GA16i. I have a pretty good idea how I'm going to attach the pipe to the engine but I don't know how to attach the really tiny little vacuum hoses. I will probably be using a plastic tube. Could I drill a hole in it, stick the end of the hose in and use plastic cement??? I know it will be ghetto, but will it hold???

·
0 Posts
why don't you find some small diameter metal tubing and have it welded on the pipe for a nice clean look. The welding will not be expenisve at all

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pipe is most likely going to be plastic, so welding won't work

·
0 Posts
sonic welding can be done by a local plastic company or you could be hard core and use a headgun to melt/fuse the plastic together. Then again you should be using a high heat resistant plastic which should not melt easily

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Basically I'm wondering if it would be OK to use plastic cement. That stuff is pretty damn strong. I'm also considering adding some metal nipples to the pipe. I'm just not sure how to attach them

·
Garage Sultan
1,173 Posts
I think you might be better off with caulking. Certain Cements can caus the plastic to break down over time and become brittle. Check up on this and you dont want little pieces of your intake in the combustion chambers...

Exterior Caulking (GET THE MONO!) should work but i dont know how heat resistant it is.

-Nick

·
Registered
258 Posts
I think the route you guys are trying to go are all bad ideas. Any fabrication shop can make this piece up relatively inexpensively.
I think the caulk recomendation is just going to be a vacuum leak nightmare. Just my $.02.
John

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll look into a custom piece.

·
Soon to be GA16it
444 Posts
Attention Ricebox and other E16 Sentra owner

This picture was sent by Leo Judal. It's his b12 Sentra with E16 engine with his own custom intake. He e-mailed me the parts to look for and the steps to make it. Here it is:

here is a quick info on the intake; i used a throttle body adapter (elbow type) from a dodge daytona turbo (i think it's the one with
the 2.2l). Had to make the adapter fit the E16 throttle body by using a dremel tool. grinded of some plastic (the hole that will mate the throttle body, don't know if e16i have the same diameter as the ga16i). drilled a couple different size hole for the
emission stuff (one for the vacuum line and the other for the...i forgot what it's called but for the ga16i you'll find this emission thing bolted right beside the valve cover, driver side of it) on the firewall side of the elbow adapter. i would use some brass pipe fitting to be able to connect the hoses to the elbow adapter, just check out what sizes those hoses are to get the right size brass pipe fittings (put some silicone to seal it properly to the elbow). also I made a plate to go between the throttle body and the
adapter. i have to email you the shape and size of the plate later, but i used it to secure the other hole of the elbow adapter (facing the firewall), and I used the existing screw hole of the throttle body (facing valve cover) to secure the other side (with
long bolt). i don't know how the ga16i throttle body is set up, ie if you can line up the two eyelets of the elbow adapter to the existing throttle body screws. i made my intake set up this way so i can use a strut tower brace from courtesy nissan. Got a used
dc sports aluminum intake, had to cut it about 1 1/2" both ends to make it fit between the open space from the adapter to the left strut tower. got the k&n cone air filter from lightning motorsports (louisiana) $38 I think. Oh ya, i felt a little difference in 3rd gear at around 45mph to about 65mph, i think it pulls more compare to the stock filter housing. i think since the intake is short, it's geared towards mid to top end and it's loud on wide open throttle.

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been really busy with school and work for the last couple of weeks AND the weather has been terrible for working outside. Gimme some time and I'll see what I can do.

S

·
0 Posts
get a job u money less ho, so we can all look good as nissan owners. also you can just jack someone's shit

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SentraSESeaTown said:
get a job u money less ho, so we can all look good as nissan owners. also you can just jack someone's shit
I have a job. I'm not going to steal anyones stuff because THERE IS NOTHING TO STEAL!!! Only one company makes an intake for my car and I'm not willing to pay what they are asking.

BTW be careful how you talk to a moderator.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Are you talking about the dg racing intake ? I was looking at that and if I had the money to burn I'd get it probably since I don't have any tools myself and no one I know is into modding cars...

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dschrier said:
Are you talking about the dg racing intake ? I was looking at that and if I had the money to burn I'd get it probably since I don't have any tools myself and no one I know is into modding cars...
Yeah the DG racing intake is expensive for what it is.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I had a thought, why don't you just remove all of the piping other than the piece that is connected to the blue cover. Wouldn't that allow maximum air flow rather than just removing the end piece by the battery?

·
0 Posts
you could be hard core and put a filter straight up (chevy 350 style) with a small circular cut out on your hood. You coul build a small scope or just let it hang out

·
Registered
539 Posts
I've seen a few econocars with that kinda setup....and looks wise it only belongs on a muscle car....but for pure modding purposes it would work well, but don't you have to worry about the rain?

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not going to cut a hole in my hood

1 - 20 of 55 Posts