Nissan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you that live in colder climates knows that the stock CD changer in pathfinders basically does not work in cold weather. CD's just skip and skip and bounce around until the car warms up - usually 20 minutes or more. The stock sound of this system is POOR enough without having the CD's skipping all over the darn place.

:lame:

Has anyone had any luck replacing this system? What have you done? How's the sound?

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
CD's? what are those? LOL
get a new mp3 head unit and be done with it. then you plug in your ipod and have your thousand song playlist at the ready. and if you choose one that has a usb plug in it then you just plug in your thumb drive n go.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice

An MP3 head unit, eh? I like the sound of that.

Have any of you done this and has it improved the sound quality at all? Can anyone suggest a good MP3 head unit that will fit in that huge void the OE stereo will leave? Thanks much!

·
Registered
28 Posts
When i first got the pathy in 02 i tried to play one of my burnt cd's in regular format and the damn thing wouldn't read it. Even older stereos could play these disks so i knew it had to go. As far as filling in the void, installers usually install a small cubby under the head unit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I put a kenwood head unit in mine. I also replaced all 4 door speakers. The quality is a lot better with a new head unit and speakers. As far as the void, if you buy a dash kit for it there is a little cubby hole underneath the unit. Replacing the radio would be a good choice to fix the quality but I don' live in a cold climate so I can't tell you if it would fix the skipping.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had two cheap $100 decks in my last car. I'd park outside overnight in -35C weather, and both of those cheap units worked fine in the morning.

The Pathy's Bose deck, in comparison, probably cost over $1000 to replace but completely sucks balls when it's -20C or lower. I just can't justify replacing it when it works fine 360 out of 365 days a year, though. Aftermarket double-DIN units are so expensive... and a single-DIN unit will have a cheap-looking cubbyhole underneath it.

If you do replace the head unit, keep in mind the Pathy's speakers are a lower impedance than most other audio systems (2 Ohms, I believe).

·
Registered
184 Posts
MP3's wont skip due to cold temperatures!
Not true, if I leave my MP3 player in the Pathy when it's -30C or colder, it won't work. The LCD screen slowly comes on, then just displays a jumble of random characters. I have to thaw it out in my hand for a couple of minutes before it works again. :cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think the bose system run a separate amp to drive the speakers and the head unit is the mere input to that amp so replacing the head unit like i have done did not affect speaker performance.

And Matty, its not skipping though now is it? ha ha ha....

·
Registered
1 Posts
IPOD kit

Hey, if you or any one else is interested I have the OEM Nissan IPOD kit that hooks up to the bose unit. It lets you use your factory radio and steering wheel controls for the IPOD. I got it because I was sick of the skipping and error codes with the changer. Anyway I just traded in the Pathy and pulled it out I paid 200 and am looking to get 100 plus shipping. This is one of the best solutions to the BOSE problem and works in 01-04 Pathfinders with or with out satelite.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hijacking this thread

So the 99.5 Pathfinder I've been driving suddenly has a radio problem... I'm not sure what is "broken" so I'll list the symptoms.

a) Radio can tune... but no audio comes out, nothing, not even static.

b) Cassette deck immediately flips back and forth and spits out any cassette you put (well, in my case cassette adapter for ipod).

At one point it didn't push the antenna up, but it seemed like a one time thing.

Now, unfortunately I keep forgetting to test if putting a CD would work... That aside, I'm wondering, could this be two separate issues (busted AMP and cassette mechanism) or one (just the head unit).

So I'm wonder just what to do... Do I get the whole system fixed and stick with it? Do I get a new/updated head unit and hope the AMP still works? Or do I just bypass the AMP and get something completely different?

A while ago (long before the radio had any signs of issue), I had thought about replace the deck since it couldn't read my burnt CDRs. Which was what I was at least hoping since it was obviously too old to feature MP3 playback (the car I left in Cali played MP3s on CDRs). But ultimately, I ended up buying an iPod and just using a cassette adapter.

I'm wondering if this is going to turn into a project with a completely new sound system (new unit and speakers). hum....

·
Registered
9 Posts
guess there's no edit button.... after a while.

I finally tested the unit with a CD (CDR in fact)... funny thing is... it actually played the CD, skipped tracks and all. But there's still no sound (though I think there's some "burps" coming through sporadically).

So it seems to me that it is two separate issues, one being the cassette part of the unit and the other being sound (though it could be bad output from the unit)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Your Bose CD Player is NOT a Bose unit!!

01 PF here, had the dreaded error messages soon after I purchased 'er in 03 usedwith 29k on the clock. At just about 36.5 k miles, it first occurred. After an uphill battle with the local Nissan dealer (where I did NOT purchase the used PF), the Service manager, who I took an immediate "dislike' to, relunctantly took the unit out and said that "you probably used burned CDs, the manual specifically warns against doing that". In other words, my fault, sorry your Out of Warranty!!!. Anyway, after writing to the president of Nissan in North America, i received a response from an executive assistant. The CD unit WAS Replaced - after I had a local car stereo store remove the CDs. One was a burned Cd that my son played. He or i didn't know. The CD unit is NOT a Bose, but a Clarion..

I don't know what a"head unit" is, but I'd be interested in updating the unit with MP3 capability. The Radio lately sounds as if it is not tuned properly - raspy. lispy, untuned. What is that???

·
Registered
12 Posts
As I understand it, the head unit is basically the entire radio/cd player unit that is installed in the dash panel. It takes up the space of what are called DIN's, and in your case, it takes up the space of two DIN's. You can buy replacement units that will either fill the space of one DIN (in which case you will have to fill in the void with some sort of storage compartment), or you can get a full-out CD/DVD/NAV unit that will fill the space entirely. There are also units that are in between these two extremes. Google "DIN" for more info.

Do a bit of searching here in the forum and you will see what others have done to replace the original unit. There is some really nice stuff out there.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Panzer; Thanks for the info. Helps alot. I'm going to look into that. I was waiting to make certain "improvements" in my Pathy 01 LE, but had to have a serious vibration in the drivetrain checked out. I didn't want to spend too much $$$$ at this stage on the PF if it had THIS problem. Feared at first to be a Transfer case issue (a new one is $2,800 plus install!!!), it looks like that it may bad U joints in the both driveshafts. NPATH and Metro272 helped direct me - I thank them. This forum has been a "God Send".... Once this is corrected, {the engine runs like a top}, I'm looking at enhancing the headlights, the radio with something discussed here, probably replace the water pump, and I think there is slight thumping noise going over ruts >> maybe a bad CV joint or sway bar bushings ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
how the heck do i take off the door panels in a 99.5 pathfinder?

the closest I've seen is for a 97 pathfinder front door... I'm just worried Nissan, in their infinite wisdom changed the panels into glued, ie. not to be separated panels.

the other day, i made an attempt on the rear door, but without applying much force (being really cautious), all I managed to do was remove two screws and nothing else.

do I just need to apply more force? do I even need to remove the door panels to swap out the speakers? i ordered some pioneer speakers,
. Two pairs, in fact... so according to Crutchfield website, I might need to do some cutting in the front... hum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
if your looking to fill the excess space that comes from replacing your stock headunit, go to crutchfield.com and when you buy a head unit or anything they will send you a free fitting piece. it makes the space left over a little place to put things. I had a two DIN in my 04' pathy and they sent me the stuff i needed for free.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts