Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I get my JDM SR20DE to pass smog in LA?
It's exhasut manifold does not have an EGR tube and there is no EGR system on the motor, so it's emission are a little high.
Is there some trick that I can use when I take to the smog place?
I really cannot afford to get it illeagally smogged for $300+ bones.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
unless you know the roght people there is little u can do. good luck.

jr

·
B13 Owner since 90
134 Posts
Needy,

Is this the car you just have sold to Juan M.?

Tevs

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turn your timing down to like 10 degrees. That may do the trick.

·
Registered
124 Posts
kpw97 said:
Turn your timing down to like 10 degrees. That may do the trick.
he still might not pass visual inspecs. FYI
CA smogging blows!!!

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SuperblkStalion said:
CA smogging blows!!!
It'd be worth a shot. I almost feel your pain. MA has some pretty shitty emissions laws ourselves. I think it's 2nd to Ca.

Why not fabricate a fake egr. If you wanna get creative.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
pass smog

I am in the same boat. I live in Az. and have a jdm swap in a 98 se. You will have to swap the intake manifold with a usdm one. Them get a header so you can hook the pipe up that goes from the header to the intake. Then have a big smile on when you go through. I had a hottshot header on my car when I lived in cali. no problem with smog. If they ask it is the way it came. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
124 Posts
well if he is chosen to participate in the "Test Only" smog program like i was this year he may be SOL. i hated having to put back my old exhaust manifold, but on the brighter note i was able to hear my lightweight flywheel spin and sound like a ferrari everytime i started it up again.

jr

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SuperblkStalion said:
CA smogging blows!!!

Correct. Here in California the test is two parts - visual and tailpipe sniffer. Then there's a variation on that - sniffer with the car on a dyno or just sitting there in neutral.

A place that know what it is doing and not cutting corners will notice there is no EGR equipment and fail you. They've seen enough of them - plus Nissan puts it in an obvious place - they'll notice it's not there.

BTW, they can fail you for a MIL light too. That's part of the inspection. Needs to light up before the engine starts, needs to go out after the engine starts.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i repeat, CA smog laws blow bigtime. S4's are awsome tho muahahahaha

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, no disagreement here, CA smog laws suck.

FWIW, Everyone of my cars I've had to take to a test only station for the past 5 years. Each car has gone twice in a row.

Exactly how random is that?

And now I hear the CHP ocassionally sets up portable smog testers with dynos on streets and flag cars over to have a surprise inspection.

Dave
1985 Mitsu pickup
1991 240SX
1991 SE-R
1992 Geo Metro

1 - 12 of 12 Posts