Nissan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you reccomend rebuilding a transmission or putting a used one in it? Is it too much of a risk to put another old transmission into it with the posibility of it having the same problem eventually? I know someone who said he put a used transmission into his maxima 3 different times and they all ended up with the same problem. Also, what year does the transmission have to be to fit into an 89 240? Is it 89-90 or 89-91? What is the difference in sizes of transmissions for the 89? I talked to a guy that said there are 2 different kinds (not relating to manual or automatic) and one is more pricey to fix then the other.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Re Build wont be cheap but may be the best bet. Ive got a 5 speed tranny out of my car but I dont know if it will be sold here or I might see what I can do. Its in great condition no sync problems or grinding. Every gear is smooth.

·
Tarmac Terrorist
272 Posts
All the 240 Manual transmissions are the same, there might be a slight difference when dealing with the 96's and up or the DOHC - SOHC engines...As far as I know the Transmissions are the same. The SR20DET Transmission is even the same, you just have to swap out the Bell Housing to mount to the SR Block.
If you want to spend Big $ rebuilding a tranny that is probally the best path, just make sure it is someone who know's their stuff.
Swapping out for a used tranny shouldn't be a problem, especially with a manual, they are pretty much bullet proof as long as the Syncro's are not messed up...
More than enough people buy used Tranny's, pretty much every Minivan ever made has been notorious for Bad Tranny's ex: Ford Aerostar, Windstar. Dodge Caravan, Voyager, Chevy's all of em People swap those tranny's all the time, the problem is not necessarily going to happen again, but problem tranny's are problem tranny's!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DaCheat said:
All the 240 Manual transmissions are the same, there might be a slight difference when dealing with the 96's and up or the DOHC - SOHC engines...As far as I know the Transmissions are the same. The SR20DET Transmission is even the same, you just have to swap out the Bell Housing to mount to the SR Block.
If you want to spend Big $ rebuilding a tranny that is probally the best path, just make sure it is someone who know's their stuff.
Swapping out for a used tranny shouldn't be a problem, especially with a manual, they are pretty much bullet proof as long as the Syncro's are not messed up...
More than enough people buy used Tranny's, pretty much every Minivan ever made has been notorious for Bad Tranny's ex: Ford Aerostar, Windstar. Dodge Caravan, Voyager, Chevy's all of em People swap those tranny's all the time, the problem is not necessarily going to happen again, but problem tranny's are problem tranny's!

Thats what i thought too but he mentioned something about there being 2 different types of transmissions for an automatic 89 240. Something about one having a bump on the side? I had never heard anything like this so it didnt make much sense to me. I thought they were all the same.

·
Tarmac Terrorist
272 Posts
Orbital199 said:
Thats what i thought too but he mentioned something about there being 2 different types of transmissions for an automatic 89 240. Something about one having a bump on the side? I had never heard anything like this so it didnt make much sense to me. I thought they were all the same.
I don't know anything about the Automatic Tranny's in 240's...
I will never own another Automatic unless it is a Mini-Van or something... :fluffy: .
5Spd All the way

1 - 5 of 5 Posts