Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come across a 1989 Nissan Hardbody SE V6 automatic King Cab with 68k original miles on the odometer. From the pictures, it looks nice enough, so I'm going to drive out to where it's at tomorrow. As for these trucks, about all I know about them is that my foks had a very basic 4x4 with the 4 cylinder and 5 speed manual. They never had any trouble with it, but never drove it either, selling it 5 years later with only 8k on the odometer. Is there any trouble points with the v6 and auto tranny? If so, what is there to watch out for, and is there anything to look for in particular in a 20 year old Nissan? TIA.

·
Hardbody Freak
2,673 Posts
check for engine miss.
frame rust

drive it in all gear configuration forward and reverse..

flip evey switch on and off .

u no power dl amd windows

the se has a lot of electronic functions ..check them all..

and again check the frame very well for rust..the whole frame...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx guys for the advice. Since I haven't been able to determine if the timing belt has been replaced or not, it's on the list. As an update, I did go look at the truck, and everything was pretty much in good working order. Only the cruise control doesn't function. The dealer insisted that the cruise was working earlier, and wasn't sure why it wasn't today. The reason why surfaced. The vehicle did start to lope at idle shortly after I left. I did some poking around, found the vacuum hose to the cruise control, and followed it best I could in the dark, untill it vanished beneath the air cleaner someplace. The line was slack, so I started gently pulling up on it. I got the whole hose out in the open, with an obvious broken end. I'll be grabbing new vacuum line as soon as the auto parts stores open up on Friday. My instinct tells me that this is why the engine was loping at idle as well. Beyond this, it drove perfectly home, using about a half tank over just a bit under 200 miles. More when I get more time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
congrats & good luck with it!

the only problems that i've had with my '89 pathfinder was just keeping up with the maintenance! had to let her go b/c the chassis started to rust through the floor boards and the exhaust was about to cost me more than she was worth.

the vacuum hose must have been loose from the last tune up. it connects to the right side of the carb...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
congrats & good luck with it!

the only problems that i've had with my '89 pathfinder was just keeping up with the maintenance! had to let her go b/c the chassis started to rust through the floor boards and the exhaust was about to cost me more than she was worth.

the vacuum hose must have been loose from the last tune up. it connects to the right side of the carb...

The hose is in pretty bad shape, and I can just about crumble it in my hands. I'll be grabbing enough vacuum line at the auto parts store to replace all of them at once. This way, I'll be able to insure that no more vacuum lines break. I'm looking forward to putting this little truck to work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 10 of 10 Posts