Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put in a new, not rebuilt, alternator 40,000 miles ago. It now dosen't charge. The battery, terminals, wiring, fuses and fuseable links check out. I've searched, and all threads mention the lights being ON as a sure sign of failure, so this is rather strange. Any ideas? '93 XE

·
Registered
7 Posts
we recently replaced the alt on my son's 91 se. and now the brake and batt light will flash and make a clicking noise from the fuse box area. at random times, is this the same problem you are talking about?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sounds like you need a new alternator. When my alternator died, none of the dashboard warning lights lit up to warn me about it. My battery warning light only lights up if the alternator belt snaps.

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it actually was a bad alternator, inspite of the mileage on the new one. The parts boy said that even though it was a new alternator some of the components are made in China and he said it's not uncommon to see them come back. It was a NAPA "Premium" new alternator with a lifetime warranty, so at least it didn't cost me anything (and by some miracle I was able to limp home).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts