Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how long it was after the release of the SR20DE that aftermarket ECUs were made available? and who was the first company to do so? what is the added difficulty of a modern QR25DE ecu?

Thanks -

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
ccj_drivinaround said:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how long it was after the release of the SR20DE that aftermarket ECUs were made available?
Define "available". I'm aware of a '91 SSB SE-R with a cheater ECU.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bahearn said:
Define "available". I'm aware of a '91 SSB SE-R with a cheater ECU.

By available, I mean an ECU for sale to the general public (either replacement or piggyback) with ability to move rev limiter, top speed limitation, and introduce changes leading to power increases.

·
b15 pimp daddy
158 Posts
ccj_drivinaround said:
By available, I mean an ECU for sale to the general public (either replacement or piggyback) with ability to move rev limiter, top speed limitation, and introduce changes leading to power increases.
Its partially market.. and the other half is Doing it right and safely.

the 02 spec V HAS no speed inhibiter and doesnt really need a higher redline..

someone recently dynoed a STillen QR-Pro Ecu for the Spec V and got maybe 6 extra horsies(running pig ass rich) .

Safc II works well for most tuner needs.. I'd say start there. 190 whp makes 1st gear worthless and the useless 6th speed in stock form feels more like a 5th gear ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SR20dee said:
Its partially market.. and the other half is Doing it right and safely.

the 02 spec V HAS no speed inhibiter and doesnt really need a higher redline..

someone recently dynoed a STillen QR-Pro Ecu for the Spec V and got maybe 6 extra horsies(running pig ass rich) .

Safc II works well for most tuner needs.. I'd say start there. 190 whp makes 1st gear worthless and the useless 6th speed in stock form feels more like a 5th gear ;)

good points....are you saying there was a more compelling [economic] reason to develop the ECU for the SR20DE at the time than there is today for the QR25DE?

·
b15 pimp daddy
158 Posts
ccj_drivinaround said:
good points....are you saying there was a more compelling [economic] reason to develop the ECU for the SR20DE at the time than there is today for the QR25DE?

Right now the SR20 is in its Prime years ..

Its in an inexpensive chassis that can be RACED out pretty quickly for minimal dollars. ALot of Sr20 Drivers are into racing in one form or another. On top of that there is not one but 6 different variations Of SR's available on the market(used or otherwise)

People who buy the cheaper SR20 cars will Put money they saved into Hopping up the engine. (high compression, Turbo, Nitrous)

With the Qr Its fairly new which makes it really tough anyway. Add to that the fact that most things you'd want to do to the car(High redline, Turbo, Compression) would probably eat the engine quicker than you can say :givebeer: It really turns off the market to going that far.

Ultimately it comes down to this.. Tuning a NEW car takes BALLS and MONEY.. for the millions of sentra owners there are only MAYBE 15000 of us enthusiasts to market this to.

But trust me . I think that this is just FOr the moment ;) give it a few more years.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
ccj_drivinaround said:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how long it was after the release of the SR20DE that aftermarket ECUs were made available? and who was the first company to do so? what is the added difficulty of a modern QR25DE ecu?

Thanks -
The OBD-II cars came out in 1995. The JWT ECU for them was already on the market in January 1997. That is the earliest reference I could find in the SE-R mailing list which goes back to November 1996.

Call JWT and ask them.

Lew

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lshadoff said:
The OBD-II cars came out in 1995. The JWT ECU for them was already on the market in January 1997. That is the earliest reference I could find in the SE-R mailing list which goes back to November 1996.

Call JWT and ask them.

Lew

all good info. thanks -

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
I remember JWT ECUs being available for OBD-I when I joined the mailing list in 1997. Don't know when they first appeared. As for the race car, the ECU was done back in late-1991.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts