Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is just a general question, but what do they mean when they say needle stopper? On the SOLM, it said to "gently pull on the stopper" but not to remove the neddle. So do i remove the stopper, or do I just barely pull it out enough to slide the gauge face off from the needle? I'm not quite sure I understood what it was saying. Anyone who has done this want to clear me up a little? I'm sure this will be more straight forward when I remove my cluster, but I thought I'd better ask now rather than being mid install and screwing my needles up ;)
Later
Tommy

·
Registered
186 Posts
hold on! are you installing indiglos or something? if that the case there is no need to remove the piece the needle rests on. take of the black cap thats atop the needles themselves and then slide the indiglo guages over then put caps back on but if your replacing the whole cluster i have no idea why it would want you to remove the "needle stoppers"
take you time if you need more info just reply ill keep checkin nback

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah I'm installing the indiglos. So why do you have to be careful removing the black peice off the needle and sliding it? If i do it too rough will the whole needle pull off? Just wondering (it said it was a test of patience to put them on). Thanks Project!
Tommy

·
Tampa SR20
277 Posts
When installing the indiglos you do not need to remove anything. You need to slide the face over the needle but not the stop...once you slide it over you just put the indiglo over the needle stop. hope this helps.

·
what?
2,704 Posts
Hey,
Personally I would remove the needles since you can't bend them. Just sliding over the cover risks bending the armature needle or breaking the orange pointer itself. But some don't like the rist of removing it.

Seth

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
IMO, I would NOT remove the needles. If you don't know what you're doing, removing the needles is the top cause of people breaking their clusters. I've removed my needles dozens of times (b/c I know how to) and whenever I go back in I'm just about ready to sh*t my pants b/c nothing can go wrong when you mess with the needles. Newer versions of indiglos allow you to slip them on w/o having to remove the needles. sure you do have to bend the needles a bit, but not enough to break them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the indiglos should slide right over the stopers need to remove them.. if you need to remove them just pop them out with a
x-acto knife..

·
Registered
186 Posts
Dont ever remove your needles i learned this the hard way, 60 bucks and a used cluster was my fix so 30 dollar indiglos endd up costing 90 be patient and NEVER remove the needles i dont care what anybody says

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You just have to be carefull and pay attention. What happens when you remove the neddles and install a new gauge face (some no removal is needed) the markers for the needle line up gets covered.. This is the little tick at the bottom left corner of the indivisual gauge. The only gauge covers i have seen that still have the small tick are actually import intelligence gauges. And if you are care while removing your needle they will be alright.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Going along these lines, since you have to recalibrate the speedo and what not, how hard is it to just replace or make the temp guage and the gas guage white too. Is that as hard as the speedo?

·
Flux Capacitor is the key
573 Posts
Needle Removal

Needle Removal=Super Bad Idea!!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
why do you have to recalibrate your speedo, ive never heard of such a thing unless you take them out and when you do this you can recalibrate everything except your speedo, your speedo needle well at least mine, when i took it out there was a small copper wire that wrapped around that sort of acted like a pulley to get it up so it never worked again period

·
Flux Capacitor is the key
573 Posts
Needle Calibration

Wanna recalibrate your meters...Then here is the cheap and inefficient totally useless method.

Have two walkie talkies. One for your sentra and another fast fast car with cruise control. First have the first cars go 10 mph then hit cruise. Have the Sentra go side by side and match the speed and adjust the needle accordingly. Do the following for 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 and 100mph. Note: Some states prohibit driving more than 50 mph.
That should calibrate your needles. Remember this method is totally inappropriate but its just an idea.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you get gauges where you don't have to remove the needles you don't have to recalibrate anythinge. Evan IF you have to take the needles off to "recalibrate" them is just making sure you line them up with the ticks (marked at the left bottom edge of the individual gauge) when you put them back on........

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
On my Sentra.. there is a small black cover over the needle, I popped it off by adding a little pressure while pussing up, then down, however, you must be gentle, and it was only the BLACK cover over the needle.

If you want the faceplate to fit on nicely, move the needle to the far right (gently) and first slip the gauge into the (time/miles per trip) reset button. Then slip the needle in through the main hole.
When done, gently move the needle back to the stopper.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts