Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a 91 (not sure model) pick up with the 2.4L and I won't start, Just turns and turns. When you give it a little gas while cranking you get a small pop (which sounds like it comes from the intake). I did all the basics, Check spark, Got gas, Timing is good.. I check the ohms on the TPS and there with in specs along with I check to see that the map is getting Voltage and it is.

Any Ideas guys? Any thing I might have missed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
five views no replys?

I've done alot of searching and reading on the forum here and I have seem to come up with these issues of hard or no starts.

EGT
Idle Switch
Throttle valve switch ( Assuming this is TPS )
Fuel pressure regulator.

I know some one has some ideas of why I would have fuel and spark but no start.

·
Registered
201 Posts
timing...sounds like it...try some starting fluid...what happens?...how many miles?

if all is well like you say i'm going with firing order...

no replies cause if all was well like that it should start.... i would just half to be there

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
timing...sounds like it...try some starting fluid...what happens?...how many miles?

if all is well like you say i'm going with firing order...

no replies cause if all was well like that it should start.... i would just half to be there

Well here I am at the shop ready to just stick a lit rag in the tank an walk away. I check the ecu and it blinks green light 5 red light 5 which would mean 55 and everything is ok as far as sensors go, Took the valve cover off and come to find a bran new timing chain set already installed. Timing checks out good though. I've tried everything, Cleaning ohm-ing and cant even find a lead to anything. At the moment we are playing with the firing order but Ill have to update later on this.

If anyone has some ideas please let me know asap.
Thanks

·
Registered
201 Posts
hmm...glad to hear the markes are on. any luck moving the plugs around?

let me grab a pic one min

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea the picture is how we had it, Starting and 5 o'clock it goes counter clock wise 1342.

Well today was interesting none the lease, After checking, cleaning, And going over EVERYTHING a co-worker got an idea to move the spark plug wires counter clock wise to see if maybe it was 180' out of time And Guess what?!? it was, when we put wire number one on dizzy prong 4 and the reast in or as if 4 was 1 it start up. Sounded like a desiel but it ran lmao. So Im guessing that when the dumb ass was doing his back yard tune up he to the dizzy out and some how put it back in a 180' out. So tomorrow Im going to flip it around and re order the wires correctly and go from there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
***Update***

Well we did get it running, But it sounded like a desiel.. So we figured it was a 180' out right.. Well on this setup its hard to be 180 when the dizzy and shaft are notched. So we figured that it was the cam timing that was off. After some reading and arguing with a co-working I mad it obvious that this was an interference motor and it could not me cam timing. Well he made me take the face of the block and check any ways lol and guess what.. It was 100% on time. So as Im reasemabling Im looking at the manual and it shows the notch facing the front of the motor and the dizzy cap and 5oclk postion. How can this be.. This is where I get lost. Im sorry if I made this hard to under stand and if need be I can break it down more for you. But if anyone could tell me the correct postion of the shaft dizzy and rotator on a 91 HB I would apprecate it

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same problem here...

It looks like I have the same problem as you, Mr. P. I think I have oil pump drive spindle flipped around, which would make things 180 out from how they should be. I'm going to take it apart this weekend and I hope this fixes it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well with the particular truck I was working on I just couldnt seem to get the timing on tdc but at 180 with spark plug wire number 1 on Dizzy number 4 it ran beautiful but when I put it back at one it ran like shit. So in the end we left it 180 and it ran like a champ after some tuning. lol damn them obd0 cars and trucks

·
Registered
3 Posts
you have simply not put the oil pump in time...
Yep.

With my screw up I simply:

Drained oil.
Took the distributor off and made marks where the oil drive spindle notches/key were.
Removed oil pump and re-installed spindle 180 degrees.
Re-assembled and filled with oil.
Everything works great now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts