Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does our engine benefit from premium (93 octane) instead of standard (87 octane) enough for it to be worth the more expensive gas?

·
Registered
393 Posts
nope. i think the only cars that benefit is cars w/ knock sensors. unless your car is tuned w/ higher compression, advanced timing, etc... i dont think its worth the extra money at all. i put the cheapest gas i can find, in, w/o going to "joe's gas pump"

·
Nissan Guru
152 Posts
Actually gas octane dose mean somthing

there is a clear difference in the way most cars run if you listen and pay attention to your car, I just made the change to premium and it added 23 miles to my city driving per quarter tank and i made sure my driving style didnt change much other than the occasional streat race with a monte carlo, but other than that i used the same roads and speeds ( 75+ onthe highway). I will make sure that put premium in my car often , Cheveron with Techron is the best, and all cars have knock sensors Especially ours, thats waht causes the fuel cutoffs at 109.

Heres the proof, Car And Drivers report on gas octanes, everyone should read this. not all cars improve, some do, yours could, mine did.
Car And Driver: Regular or Premium?

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
selrider99 said:
yeah but i hear that it burns the o2 sensor out withj the hhigher octane is this true?

with higher octane like 115 it will burn them pretty quick, never heard of pump gas doing this, but it may shorten the life?

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
selrider99 said:
well they sell 100 at the station by me ... but i never used more than a 1/2 of tank.... shit cost like 5.50 a gallon

but the car runs damn great:D
damn!! 100! wish i could get that here im lucky that 1 gas station in town sells 93!

·
Registered
339 Posts
how to?

I was wondering about that thing a few days ago... i live in Costa Rica, and we have "Regular" and "Super" gas.... is there an easy way to measure the gas octane?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Re: Actually gas octane dose mean somthing

SilverSentra99 said:
there is a clear difference in the way most cars run if you listen and pay attention to your car, I just made the change to premium and it added 23 miles to my city driving per quarter tank and i made sure my driving style didnt change much other than the occasional streat race with a monte carlo, but other than that i used the same roads and speeds ( 75+ onthe highway). I will make sure that put premium in my car often , Cheveron with Techron is the best, and all cars have knock sensors Especially ours, thats waht causes the fuel cutoffs at 109.

Heres the proof, Car And Drivers report on gas octanes, everyone should read this. not all cars improve, some do, yours could, mine did.
Car And Driver: Regular or Premium?
the closing paragraph of that article recommends using the octane rating recommended by the manufacturer of the car. ours calls for 87, so unless your car has high-miles on it, i dont think it really is worth it to spend 20 cents more a gallon (regular to premium) just for a little peace of mind. ive got better things to pay for, like insurance.

·
Team Serious
2,133 Posts
well i would love to pay the 20 cents less but I don't think i can live with having my timing turned back...

I guess timing advance has to be the most expensive mod of all...
it just keeps adding to the gas bill..:D

·
All over your face!
2,384 Posts
selrider99 said:
yeah but i hear that it burns the o2 sensor out withj the hhigher octane is this true?
who cares, a new universal o2 sensor is only $20-$35.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Re: Actually gas octane dose mean somthing

SilverSentra99 said:
...and all cars have knock sensors Especially ours, thats waht causes the fuel cutoffs at 109.
I don't believe knock sensors cause fuel cutoff at 109 :p. Knock sensors will decrease your timing. As far burning O2 sensors faster from higher octance, I believe those are just the leaded gas or race gas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts